Team Camaro Tech banner

A Backyard Mechanics Guide to an LS3 Swap

78K views 464 replies 34 participants last post by  Pro Stock John 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So yesterday afternoon I pulled the trigger and ordered a bunch of stuff from https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/ to upgrade my 1968 Camaro "Dorothy" from an Inline 250 Straight Six that might have had 150HP with a 2spd Power-glide to a new LS3 430HP with a 4L65e.

This is a picture of the day I bought her on November 7th 2014, my wife and I drove 15 hours from Naples up to Florence, Alabama to a place called Hut’s Auto Restoration. Tommy Hunt had picked her up just a few months earlier form the Mecum Car Auction in Tampa, she was originally from Ballston Spa, NY where Dorothy Hoyt purchased her when she was 65 years old back in 1968. I spoke to a previous owner that knew Dorthy and Harold and he said that they went down to the Chevy Dealer and all they had were Camaros with Big Blocks and Harold would not let her buy one of those so they ordered a convertible with a Six Cylinder. I did not find out that the car was from upstate NY until afterwards, not sure if I would have taken the drive if I knew the car came from the Rust Belt? Needless to say I don't think Dorothy drove the car much especially in the winter? The car only had 37,000 miles on her when I got her and the under carriage is in amazing condition solid as a rock.

At the time I purposely wanted a 68 with a straight six, back in the day I had 68 SS/RS with a 396 Big Block that got 8 miles to the gallon. Sorry but 8 miles to the gallon just seemed to take the fun out of driving it.

She was at times a little temperamental in starting, if you did not catch it just right you would have to make several attempts at getting her to turn over. Because of this I decided to give her a little update with some products from Clifford Research.

This solved my starting issues, and if you can believe it with these two Weber Carbs and the 3 into 1 Headers I was getting 23 MPG.

It was also fun at Car Shows to see people walk by and be surprised at what they found under the hood.

So as of this moment it has been 1,624 days since I bought the car, and I feel the need to get my hands dirty. Talked it over with my wife and she knows how hard I work and life is meant to be lived so I have her approval to to an upgrade to an LS3. She's a keeper, my wife that is.

First thing was to see if I could get anything for the current 250 engine and the 2spd Powerglide? Once a month a place called "Muscle Car City" has an automotive swap meet. So I drove the two hours up there, put a sign on the windshield "Engine & Tranny 4-Sale $1,200". It seemed to get a little interest but 3hrs into the morning it did not seem that I was going to have any luck, but then to my surprise someone that had walked by it earlier came back to ask about it and while we were talking someone else was waiting to discuses it also. Needless to say a guy named Tommy Lee gave me a $200 deposit for it. He plans to put it into his 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster, his friends thinks he should drop a small block in the Fleetmaster but what he liked about my engine is that it was different, that no one is going to walk up to it and expect to find a dual carb straight six in her. (same thing I experienced).

The following weekend Tommy (pictured) showed up with another $1,000 and helped me pull the engine and tranny out of the Camaro. I should have given him a discount with how much he helped with pulling it.

The first things I did was to pull the driver side fender off so that I could remove the inner and outer heater unit to make room for a Vintage Air system, its been rough here in the Florida Heat with out AC.

Also drained the gas tank and removed as much as I could from the inside.

The following are some of the items that I have already ordered and some that I will be ordering:

GM LS3 430HP Crate Engine
Holley Terminator X Max LS Engine Control Module
Holly EFI Digital Dash
4L65e 4spd Automatic Transmission
Vintage Air SureFit kit
Entropy LS3 Radiator, Dual Fan, Harness
GM Torque Converter 2400-2800
Street Beast Hydraulic Brake Assist
Sniper EFI Fuel Tank System
BMR Subframe Connectors
B&M Mega Shifter
Holley Long Tube Header - Stainless
Holley LS RETRO-FIT OIL PAN
Holley Motor Mounts and Clamshells
Holley Transmission Cross-member
Holey Accessory Drive Complete Kit

Let the Fun Begin

Also subscribe to my YouTube Channel below, I'll be uploading a lot of videos of the whole process.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice parts selection. Only thing I would do different is the stock shifter with a Shiftworks modification. I prefer the stock appearing shifter.

And get the BIM-01-2 for the gauges to interface directly to the ECM. So clean and easy.

Don

Reactions: 130fe
#4 ·
get the BIM-01-2 for the gauges to interface directly to the ECM. So clean and easy.

Don
Thanks for the heads up, was not aware of the component.

#5 ·
I had a set of the BMR subframe connectors and they wouldn't fit at all
Well, they are being delivered Monday so I will give them a try and see if I can get them installed? Only a test fit though because will need the full weight of the engine and everything else before final install.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is tonight progress, dropped the gas tank out. It nice to see virgin sheet metal that has not seen the light of day in over 50 years.

#15 ·
Only problem I had was with the speedo reading. Oil pressure works great off of the BIM. Just make sure you have “bus” selected for gauge input instead of “normal” in the DD programming menu for those inputs. I had to reprogram the rear gear setting in the tube and it works awesome now. Thanks to Jeff (workn24/7) and Bryce (Shyster) for their help in getting it fixed. If you run an GM auto or T56 super magnum it isn’t an issue, Only with other trans like LS T56 or Tko trans with a different VSS reluctor tooth count.

The GMPP harness is good for an auto because of the ability to plug the TCM into the bulkhead plug in the GMPP harness. I think if I did it over I wouldn’t necessarily use it in an manual trans car.

The DD BIM module works great and you can also read other parameters from the PCM in the gauge LED display.

#16 ·
The GMPP harness is good for an auto because of the ability to plug the TCM into the bulkhead plug in the GMPP harness. I think if I did it over I wouldn’t necessarily use it in an manual trans car.
I'm assuming I will have different outcome (good or bad) as I will be using the "Holley Terminator X Max" wiring harness?

#17 ·
#18 ·
I used the Entropy LS radiator with their fans. Its a work of art LOL. I also used their plug and play harness (LSX) for the fans. Another option for the fans is guys used PCM of NC, they sell a mod kit to tie into the GM harness/ECM.

#23 ·
What the heck, pictures were working earlier.

I’m using Google Photos account, does anyone know why all of a sudden they are would stop working? In the settings it says to share with anyone that has the link?

#37 ·
What the heck, pictures were working earlier.
I’m using Google Photos account, does anyone know why all of a sudden they are would stop working? In the settings it says to share with anyone that has the link?
Do you have all of your photos in one folder?... or are the photos located in separate albums?
You need to confirm that the folder... or album that the posted photos are in is a "Shared Album".
Click on the "Album" icon on the left hand side of your Google Photos page. Under each photo should be an Album Name. Under the Album Name will be information on how many photos are in the Album and if the Album is Shared.

If the Album with the posted photos is Not Shared, you need to open that Album > Click on More Options (3 vertical dots) > Click on Options from the menu list > In the Options menu, be sure the Share toggle switch is in the ON position.

NOTE: If you move photos from one album to another album after posting photos, the posted photos will note be viewable to other forum members (even if both albums are Shared).

#27 ·
Seems like something has changed, I can only see them if I'm logged into my Google Photos account? I don't see anything in the settings that is causing the photos not to be shared with everyone?

Here is a photo from one of my other accounts to see if it is visible?

#33 ·
I liked the entropy radiator but not so much the fan control. It works well but you have to take it loose from you mount location and remove a cover on the back to change settings.

On my Chevelle I used the DD Dual fan control. I like that it uses the same temp sender as your temp gauge, easy to adjust, has fan run after engine off that you can set the time for and when used with the DD gauges you can set the fans to turn off when the vehicle reaches the speed you program in. I set mine to turn off at 35 mph

Reactions: 130fe
#38 ·
So I have given up on Google and Amazon for posting pictures, I'm sure I set the folder to share with everyone but still has not worked. Just paid the $20 bucks for the premium ImageShack account and think it will solve my image posting issues. Now the question is how can I go back and edit my first posting to re-link the pictures?

#42 ·
I know it will not be everybody's cup of tea but decided to go with the HOLLEY EFI DIGITAL DASH. I'll be lucky if I monitor more than a handful of the 283 different values it can display. But its nice to have the option.

#43 ·
That Holley display will go great with the Holley EFI stuff. Might not be everyone’s cup of tea but it’s your car ;/). Holley even sells bezel mounts for different cars. That Terminator X seems to be a great alternative available. Are you going to be using the Holley mounts/headers and such?

#44 ·
Yes, also ordered the 68 Camaro bezel for the display. It took me awhile to warm up to it over the looks of the Dakota Digital. Mostly because I know that a lot of people would prefer the Old School Look of the original Speedometer and Tachometer. But at the end of the day my Camaro is there for me to have fun with.

After watching how well all the Holley Engine Swap components went in on the Crusher Camaro Engine Swap I was convinced it was the way "I" needed to go. (and yes I watched every minute of the three day event, and will be re-watching most parts of day 2 and some of day 3)

#46 ·
Although I typically go by the rule that if its not broke don't fix it, think that since everything under the hood will be new that these should be replaced also.

Wait a minute, who am I kidding the Inline Six that I'm replacing technically was not broke.

#47 ·
Your alternator will have an internal regulator so that one should be removed.

Don

#50 ·
Think making some sort of spread sheet checklist would help also if for nothing else to make sure all nuts and bolts are tightened properly?

Has anyone done that and what did you note on it?

#51 ·
I spreadsheet every car I build.

I use a 3 ring binder divided into sections

Receipts
Engine and drivetrain
Electric
Instructions
Warranties

Etc

So as I a build a car I’m also recording costs and at the same time creating an owner’s manual I can refer to and if and when when I sell the car I pass on to the new owner

#54 ·
I spreadsheet every car I build.

I use a 3 ring binder divided into sections

Receipts
Engine and drivetrain
Electric
Instructions
Warranties

Etc

So as I a build a car I’m also recording costs and at the same time creating an owner’s manual I can refer to and if and when when I sell the car I pass on to the new owner
I do the same. Altho i have a binder for each section
Ex engine
Trans
Suspension
Etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.