I'm tired of my old 383 with big cam. I want something new and easier to use.
I really want to LS swap it. I would like to have a LS3 or 7. I'm considering the LS3 a "better" engine as it is bullet proof, but the "wow effect" of a 427 in a first gen camaro (COPO, Yenko tribute) would be very nice to.
I'm living in Europe so my options are :
- buy the complete package from GM perf : way too expensive for me
- buy a LS3 + TR6060 from a junkyard is the US (using the following sites car-part.com & lkqonline.com). It is around $8K + delivery to Europe (I requested a quote, not received yet but it should be around $1K to ship it to Europe). And of course I can't see/test the engine before it comes home.
- find an engine in Europe (really limited choice)
For now I have found the following engines :
- a LS7 (corvette Z06 of course) + T56 (from a 98 camaro) for 10K€ (you can consider 1$=1€). Which is a pretty good deal. The problem is that the engine has been pulled out at least 5 years ago and never used since. I don't know what can happened in more than 5 years? I don't the mileage. LS7 requires a wet sump package.
- a LS3 in a backyard close to my home. From a wrecked car, the throttle body is broken. 5500€. No trans.
- I can have a GTO T56 for 2k. 30000 miles, new clutch.
My current configuration :
- 383 w/ M20
- 9" ford rear axle
- hotchkis package
- Holley EFI (so I can reuse fuel tank, lines and pump)
- center console (I want to keep it)
With my budget I can't afford a brand new Tremec. I heard that a T56 with the good engine mount (holley) could clear the tunnel without opening it, right?
I'm aware that my center console won't fit exactly where it is supposed to be but if I just need to move it a bit no problem.
Can this project be done?
All advice are welcome