Team Camaro Tech banner

My 68 camaro LS swap

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  limpsilver 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello.

I'm tired of my old 383 with big cam. I want something new and easier to use.

I really want to LS swap it. I would like to have a LS3 or 7. I'm considering the LS3 a "better" engine as it is bullet proof, but the "wow effect" of a 427 in a first gen camaro (COPO, Yenko tribute) would be very nice to.

I'm living in Europe so my options are :
- buy the complete package from GM perf : way too expensive for me
- buy a LS3 + TR6060 from a junkyard is the US (using the following sites car-part.com & lkqonline.com). It is around $8K + delivery to Europe (I requested a quote, not received yet but it should be around $1K to ship it to Europe). And of course I can't see/test the engine before it comes home.
- find an engine in Europe (really limited choice)
For now I have found the following engines :
- a LS7 (corvette Z06 of course) + T56 (from a 98 camaro) for 10K€ (you can consider 1$=1€). Which is a pretty good deal. The problem is that the engine has been pulled out at least 5 years ago and never used since. I don't know what can happened in more than 5 years? I don't the mileage. LS7 requires a wet sump package.
- a LS3 in a backyard close to my home. From a wrecked car, the throttle body is broken. 5500€. No trans.
- I can have a GTO T56 for 2k. 30000 miles, new clutch.

My current configuration :
- 383 w/ M20
- 9" ford rear axle
- hotchkis package
- Holley EFI (so I can reuse fuel tank, lines and pump)
- center console (I want to keep it)

With my budget I can't afford a brand new Tremec. I heard that a T56 with the good engine mount (holley) could clear the tunnel without opening it, right?
I'm aware that my center console won't fit exactly where it is supposed to be but if I just need to move it a bit no problem.

Can this project be done?
All advice are welcome :smile2:

Fabien

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
a LS3 in a backyard close to my home. From a wrecked car, the throttle body is broken. 5500€. No trans.
- I can have a GTO T56 for 2k. 30000 miles, new clutch.
I'm always leery of using used engines and transmissions. If the car is wrecked (you can at least see how many miles or on the engine. better chances it's ok than from a wrecking yard with no history.

The other choice The LS7 with the GM T56 from a 1998 Camaro is not a good deal at all. The used stock 98 T56 behind an LS7 is not going to last. You can buy a new LS3/480 and a new TKO600 for $10K or the LS3/480 rated at 495 HP more HP and 473 torque which is about the same as a stock LS7 for $10,300

Reactions: 130fe
#4 ·
Thank you fr the answers.

Yes the LS7 would be awesome but buying this one is a bad idea.
However I think the gto T56 from a wrecked car (was bolted to a LS2) could be a good deal. I think I'm going to buy it.

I just missed a wrecked escalade with a L92. It could also be an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.