How to choose the good LS engine - Page 3 - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Re: How to choose the good LS engine

You do not need to buy flex fuel engine.... all the E38/E67 computers have the flex capability it just needs activated in the tune & a good tune to use it. The sensor & harness is rather cheap.

Also do not buy a truck engine as you then have to buy all the accessories again as well as an intake.
I suggested a Vette engine for a reason, it has the correct computer & accessories (one of the GMPP drive kits is from a Vette) etc.

Remember this guy can't drive down to a local junk yard & pick up the missing stuff....

Also you want the matching throttle pedal for the PCM you will use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 09:57 AM
John

Garage

The op was looking at an L92 that has flex fuel standard.

The Vette compressor on the front drive will not work on a 1st gen without modifying/notching the subframe.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

He said LS3 or L92, making the LS3 a better choice... no intake, accessories or water pump to buy.
He also mentioned the GMPP drive.

Also DOD is an unnecessary item that will likely be deleted anyway.

Since he didn't mention AC, it can be easily removed from the Vette engine.
If it needs added you can use this....
https://www.lsxinnovations.com/produ...c-bracket-kit/

Regardless the PCM needs programmed so looking for a flex fuel vehicle is an unnecessary task.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 03:01 PM
Team Member
Don

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 04:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob15 View Post
Sure you got 22mpg with that combo (don't forget that your tranny plays a huge part in your mileage game). In the late 1990's when I was going to college in NY, my 1982 GMC with the 700R4 and a reman 350 (I added a Comp Cam truck cam) was getting 19mpg back and forth on weekends from CT to NY for 3 years (about 150 miles one-way). How? Mainly OD on the tranny, but also how the engine was built to the rest of the drivetrain.
I believe you. But was your remanufactured 350 making 500 HP at the flywheel? An SBC can be easily configured to do one thing really well, it can't be easily (if at all) configured to do lots of things really well. An LSx can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Fabien,
(I might actually be the exception. Maybe most "Older" people would be inclined to stay with the "Older" setup, I don't know about this part. It might be just me, but I like technology and the ability to "Modernize" it).
Hey, easy on the "old guy" stuff - I was 23 when my '68 came off the line. That poor car now has an LS3, Viper T56, Hydratech brakes, aftermarket front subframe with C5 control arms and brakes, 3 link rear suspension (built around a Ford 9"), coil overs all around, Recaro seats, GPS, Sirius radio, 7 speakers for the stereo (including a subwoofer), all electric/electronic instruments, and so on.

People like what they like regardless of age.

And with that, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Joyful Kwanza, Happy Festivus, etc. In other words, Peace.
ckaram likes this.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 05:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Okay, good. I feel better now, lol.....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Fabien

No I don't need AC.
Does the LS3 stock configuration (alternator, power steering) work on my car?

Concerning E85, flex fuel would be great but just having a tune for gas, one for E85 and being able to swap from each other easily is acceptable. Actually I will use E85 100% of the time. It is just in case...
I'm considering holley terminator X. But it is not cheap...

Edit : I can have a L92 long block for 2500Ä (1$ ~ 1Ä) locally.
What I need :
- front accessory : $750 https://paceperformance.com/i-648540...7-engines.html or https://www.lsxconcepts.com/products...ive-kit-no-a-c
- ls3 intake : $900 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...4428/overview/
- cam : $650 (ASA or hot cam)
- coil pack : $450 https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19367577.html
- spark plug
- injector
- vvt delete kit : $70 https://www.texas-speed.com/p-724-vvt-delete-kit.aspx
What else?

Last edited by limpsilver; Dec 26th, 19 at 03:54 AM.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 05:58 AM
John

Garage

You'll also need a new oil pan. The Holley 302-2 works well. Harness and fuse box, ECM, pedal, re-flash and tuning along with the rest of the swap parts.

I would make life easy and buy a harness and ECM from PSI or similar supplier.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Don't forget the oil pickup tube & windage tray.

Water pumps are also different.

Also there are much better cams than the ASA or Hot Cam, plus do not forget the valve springs to match
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 07:09 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie P View Post

Also there are much better cams than the ASA or Hot Cam, plus do not forget the valve springs to match
Yep to above.

The hot cams will work with the OEM springs. That said I would change the springs anyway.

I know there are a some better cams for more power. However I like the hot camís lower lift and longer durations as they make very good street friendly power and are easy on the valve train.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Fabien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You'll also need a new oil pan. The Holley 302-2 works well. Harness and fuse box, ECM, pedal, re-flash and tuning along with the rest of the swap parts.

I would make life easy and buy a harness and ECM from PSI or similar supplier.
Yes I'll buy this oil pan.
About harness, fuse, ECM : the holley terminator X should provide everything I need, right?

BTW i see "holidays price" on holley site. Is it real discount or all year discount? Because I bought a sniper EFI a year ago and it was on the exact reduced price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie P View Post

I thought water pumps was included with the front accessory package but it is not.

Holley oil pan comes with pickup tube. The windage tray needed is #12558253. Is it the one coming with the L92?

About the cam, I don't want something I can't use on the street as I have right now. But if you think there is better cam with good street manner and conserving low end torque, I'm open to suggestion

Last edited by limpsilver; Dec 26th, 19 at 11:38 AM.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 20, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Fabien

Okay so after 2 weeks of reflexion, I'll NOT LS swap for now.
It is a lot a work and money. So firstly I'll try to make my SBC/T56 combo works.

I said :
"starts are not easy and I need to stay on the clutch for a long time, fuel consumption is REALLY bad (around 9mpg), I have vibration everywhere, fuel auto tuning from Holley Sniper doesn't work due to the big cam, etc."
- First gear problem should be partially (totaly ?) solved with my GTO T56 as the first gear is 2.97 vs 2.52 (M20)
- Fuel consumption should be reasonable with the double overdrive combine to E85 (remember E85 is 1/3 the price of 93)
- Vibrations : I need to fix this issue. Engine vibrations : https://www.camaros.net/forums/18-en...rations-2.html Driveline vibrations will be adressed with angle shim as my angles are BAD.
- Auto tuning : at cruising rpm it should work better as the kpa will be higher. Other RPM still need to be manually tuned.

I hope I'll not be disappointed...
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Fabien,

This is what I like (and don't like) about owning a First Gen Camaro. I get to do what I WANT to it, not what someone tells me what to do. The problem is, I am sometimes not sure what I want to do, so I ask for other's thoughts.
In my particular case, I own a SS396 car. It still has a Mark IV 396 in it. This makes my decision a little harder. There is a hard pull on my heart strings to keep it at least a 396, even tho people tell me I can put a 427 or a 454 in it and no one will hardly be able to tell, except me. What is the "Right" thing to do? Then there is my age. I am an "Old" dude. I was 10 years old when my car came off the line. I can sense that my "Older" self has been leaning in a different direction than what my "Younger" self would be leaning. I truly believe if I was younger, like in my 30's, I would have more of a desire to go with the original, old school engine. But in my older years, I see the different benefits that the LS-type engines bring....and I LIKE it! (I might actually be the exception. Maybe most "Older" people would be inclined to stay with the "Older" setup, I don't know about this part. It might be just me, but I like technology and the ability to "Modernize" it).

Brett......
This really hits close to home for me. I'm 57 so also an old guy. I too have a SS396. It doesn't have the original engine, so at least I don't have to worry about originality. I love the whole concept of the LS platform, but also love popping the hood and staring at that big block. Not sure if I'd get the same thrill from an LS. I'm sure at some point I'll go for it, everyone I've talked to who has done it raves about it. Say they actually drive the car much more than they use to. Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode