• 1 Post By 69L48Z27
  • 1 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By Brettallen59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

LS engine oil prime

Iíve read that this isnít for the faint of heart.....

Fresh never-fired LS build. I pulled the plug on the drivers side of the block and primed the pump and galley like instructed in the melling video on YouTube. Cranked for 30 seconds and no pressure on the gauge. Pulled the passenger side valve cover and no oil on the rockers. Dropped the front of the car off the stands (butt way up in the air) cranked for 30 seconds. No oil pressure but sound of cranking changed so thought I had it. No oil on rockers. Pulled galley plug again and thereís all kinds of oil behind it so quickly threaded back in. Got a helper to crank - cranked for 30 seconds while I watched and all rockers are cycling up and down. Lifters have to be pressured up to do that right? Rockers on base circle do not have any lash further convincing me the lifters have been oil primed. Cranked for 1 minute and still no pressure on gauge or out pushrod holes on the rockers. Iím out of nerve.

From my checks Iím convinced thereís oil in the galleys and pressure in the lifters, donít understand why Iím not seeing it reach the rockers or on the gauge. Thoughts? I wish you could prime these like a SBC.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Re: LS engine oil prime

Your braver than me. With what Iíve invested it was difficult to risk cranking it over dry, and although itís something I may only use once I bought a $135 pressurized priming tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My YouTube LS3 Engine Swap Page

My LS3 Engine Swap Thread

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 01:15 PM
John

Garage

Iíve done a whole bunch of LS swap GMPP crates.

Crank for about 30 second. Stop. Repeat. Power up and fire the motors. Instant pressure on the gauge.

IMHO this paranoia over priming is overrated.

GM has fired 100s of thousands of LS engine without all the priming routines.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

Last edited by Vega$69; Mar 22nd, 20 at 03:36 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
GM has fired 100s of thousands of LS engine without all the priming routines.
I was just thinking that same thing! Thanks John. Iíve built a bunch of SBCís so definitely a rookie learning curve in this one. I think Iím convinced for the following reasons:

What I have checked above, plus I loosened the oil filter and thereís oil under pressure there as well. Iím reading that the electronic ecuís donít send oil pressure signal to my electronic gauge while cranking. Iím also reading about a whole bunch of guys on LStech who canít get enough rpm while cranking to get oil all the way to the top of the engine and have instant pressure when they fire it up. Itís also 37 degrees here (heat wave) so that isnít helping the viscosity any.

I think itís time to fire this bad boy up.
Shannon4570 likes this.

My Build Thread

Last edited by Vega$69; Mar 22nd, 20 at 03:37 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 03:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

It's been an hour......Did you fire it yet? lol.....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Iím with John. My crate install sounds like yours so far. I decided to light it when I wasnít getting anything with plugs out And spinning it over. I figured it was under warranty. It fired and I had instant pressure. I wasted almost a day screwing around with it.
350sshugger likes this.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 04:33 PM
John

Garage

^^^^^
Iíve done LS7s, LS2s, LS3s, LQ9s. All the same start up.

They are all running perfect to this day.

Build SBCs and BBCs. We never primed. Assembly lubed well. Fire up and check OP in the 1st few secs. If no OP shut down and figure it out.

Been doing it this way for over 50 years. So either it works or Iím lucky beyond belief.

Just sayin.

Millions of cars built every year. They run down the assembly line a couple gallons of fuel pumped in they hit the switch and drive it off the line.

Same with the exotics. Everything from Lambos to McClarens. None that I know of prime the oil system to preassure before firing engines 1st time.
350sshugger likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
It's been an hour......Did you fire it yet? lol.....
Unfortunately no. Iíve still got odds and ends to run down like a vacuum hose for the MAP sensor and finish the fuel line. Hopefully next weekend.

My Build Thread

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
Unfortunately no. Iíve still got odds and ends to run down like a vacuum hose for the MAP sensor and finish the fuel line. Hopefully next weekend.
Just excited for you. Good Luck!

Brett......
350sshugger likes this.

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode