TKO 600 Bell Housing Run Out - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

TKO 600 Bell Housing Run Out

I am about ready to pull out my hair. Bolted up the flywheel and 621 bell housing to my LS3. Used a Summit Racing dial indicator to measure runout and was way off - about 22 thousandths. Spoke with Gene at SST and he said they have yet to sell a bell housing that didn't work right out of the gate so they sent me another (which I thought was very good of them). Mounted it up and had even more variance regardless of how I fiddled with the dial indicator. I am beginning to think no matter how I tinker with the arrangement of the indicator I can't really get the probe to be at 90 degrees so I am thinking there is deflection working as well.

I am now thinking it is tool failure rather than bell housing. New GMPP engine, new flywheel, new bell housing (2nd) and still not even close on run out. I can't seem to find the kind of indicators everyone uses in videos (round base, very compact) so just wondering what the other guys on the forum have used and where they got theirs. Maybe its just user error in which case that's a whole other ball of wax.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 05:52 PM
John

Garage
Re: TKO 600 Bell Housing Run Out

Iíve use several SST 621s. Bolted up and weíre good out of the box.

Guessing maybe measuring technique is suspect?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Iíve use several SST 621s. Bolted up and weíre good out of the box.

Guessing maybe measuring technique is suspect?
Almost without a doubt John. I am half tempted just to roll with it and call it good. I just can't seem to even duplicate readings if I readjust the indicator so thinking tool and operator error combined. Just a little paranoid considering all the warnings out there and the expense of the TKO.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I have the set up you need....give me a minute and I'll get back to you...
Problem is, they will not honor the warranty unless you have proof it was within spec.
Brett....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:24 PM
Apprentice
Scott

I'm in the process of installing my TKO 600 from SST and also using the 621 bell housing. I measured my TIR (total indicated runout) and it was within specs, no adjustment needed. I'm converting from a power glide, so I bought the whole kit from them. I've called them multiple times with questions or to get confirmation on various things and I have to say they are incredible to work with. The best customer service experience I've had with any company.

Richmond, VA
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

This is the one I used. The problem is if you don't have a sturdy, rigid setup, gravity will pull on the indicator giving you a false reading. I've been a machinist for over 40 years and many times there were people that didn't believe gravity affected the readings and its astonishing just how much it does when you show someone.

My TK0600 bell housing was off .015". I purchased offset dowel pins and was able to get it within spec (less than .003")

Mini Mag Indicator Base

Then you need an indicator like this one. It doesn't have to be this expensive, just this type/style; Mitutoyo Indicator

Make sure everything is TIGHT.

I purchased from SST also and it was a great purchase.

Brett......
350sshugger likes this.

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Mar 22nd, 20 at 06:29 PM. Reason: edit
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
I just can't seem to even duplicate readings if I readjust the indicator so thinking tool and operator error combined.
If you canít repeat the measurement thatís telling you tool error. Most likely the mounting point of the indicator isnít sturdy enough and moving just slightly. Weíre talking about the thickness of a sheet of paper so you wonít be able to see it move by eye. Good practice is to set up the indicator at ď0Ē and then lightly finger tap the mounting linkage to check for rigidity. The needle should barely deflect and return to ď0Ē. I used a magnetic base and was able to get it.

My Build Thread

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:28 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio65 View Post
I'm in the process of installing my TKO 600 from SST and also using the 621 bell housing. I measured my TIR (total indicated runout) and it was within specs, no adjustment needed. I'm converting from a power glide, so I bought the whole kit from them. I've called them multiple times with questions or to get confirmation on various things and I have to say they are incredible to work with. The best customer service experience I've had with any company.
X2. Iíve used SST many times and the CS is better than any other co I deal with.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Got a runout indicator tool on ebay. The post went thru the center of the crank and bolted to one of the flywheel bolts Click image for larger version

Name:	D422C204-949E-4743-9238-9ABE408E6AA3_1584927566556.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	233621Click image for larger version

Name:	33AF1F3C-3ADA-4275-9DB0-2FAA52F31332_1584927555647.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	233619

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
This is the one I used. The problem is if you don't have a sturdy, rigid setup, gravity will pull on the indicator giving you a false reading. I've been a machinist for over 40 years and many times there were people that didn't believe gravity affected the readings and its astonishing just how much it does when you show someone.

My TK0600 bell housing was off .015". I purchased offset dowel pins and was able to get it within spec (less than .003")

Mini Mag Indicator Base

Then you need an indicator like this one. It doesn't have to be this expensive, just this type/style; Mitutoyo Indicator

Make sure everything is TIGHT.

I purchased from SST also and it was a great purchase.

Brett......
Thanks Brett, really appreciate the reply. What's amazing is I searched ebay for that exact base and couldn't locate it.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatisg1977 View Post
Got a runout indicator tool on ebay. The post went thru the center of the crank and bolted to one of the flywheel bolts Attachment 233621Attachment 233619
I will take a look at this as well. Thanks for the response and help!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
X2. Iíve used SST many times and the CS is better than any other co I deal with.
I hope nobody thinks I was knocking SST, they have been great. Really an excellent company to work with and I have had dialogue with both Gene and Jack and they are great. This is only frustrating because I am sure it is correct but I can't validate, so it is ticking me off. And since I am probably going to have nowhere to go for the next couple of weeks may as well get this engine and tranny in!!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 07:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I also have a 621 with a measured runout of .022. I use it as a setup mule.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 07:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
I hope nobody thinks I was knocking SST, they have been great. Really an excellent company to work with and I have had dialogue with both Gene and Jack and they are great. This is only frustrating because I am sure it is correct but I can't validate, so it is ticking me off. And since I am probably going to have nowhere to go for the next couple of weeks may as well get this engine and tranny in!!
Tim, I didn't take it as a knock. I took it as a possible "Operator/tool error" tick-off, lol. If eBay shuts down and you don't get the stuff delivered in time, let me know. I still have the tools and I can send them to you. Just hope the United States Postal Service stays open.
The "Bell housing Indicator tool" is nice, but I think they are pretty expensive. If not, it would work pretty good too.

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 07:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I got my base from harbor freight. I also got a digital dial indicator. Was easy to use and set up. I did a thread on this site on my TKO install. It was about a year and a half ago. I posted pictures, and Gene gave me the go ahead to install.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

Last edited by X-77 keith; Mar 22nd, 20 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode