Team Camaro Tech banner

Pro & Cons to buying a 69 Camaro LS2 Swap?

7K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Titan Uranus 
#1 ·
I know all the threads on the cost of an LS engine swap but what should I beware of if I'm looking to purchase a 69 with LS2 swap already done? Let me start off by saying I'm not a weekend mechanic or much of a mechanic at all. I understand the LS are great engines but my concern is reliability of the swap verses just buying a 1st gen with say a 350 or a big block.
Here's the details of the build:
1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS with an LS2 V8 with fuel injection, aluminum heads, custom intake manifold with cold air intake, full-length Hedman Headers running to true dual exhaust and a smooth shifting modern automatic transmission. An aluminum radiator with electric fan keep it all cool. The engine compartment is ready to show with a custom radiator cover, chrome hood latch and fender braces and aluminum valve covers. The LS2 is built with Texas Speed 228R cam, Texas Speed valve train, an aftermarket intake with 92mm throttle body, forged pistons, all new seals and gaskets, 5 angle valve job with ported heads and long tube headers with Black Widow exhaust! The engine was built to handle a ProCharger supercharger, but it was never added. It is backed by a built 4L80E transmission with an FTI3000 converter, which then routes the power out back to a beefed up rear end with 3.55 gears and a new Auburn posi unit and TA girdle cover. Subframe connectors have been added to stiffen up the chassis along with traction bars.

Again my main concern is something fairly reliable. I know all old cars I have to work on once in a while, I just don't want to replace expensive components that tie into the LS swap verses a traditional V8 engine. Maybe I'm wrong if the build is done right, that is why I am listing the build and putting this out there for opinion?

See less See more
#2 ·
Several things. That sounds like dealer speak. Is this car being sold by a dealer? How much is it being offered for?

If the engine was built for a supercharger, the static compression is probably lower than it would be if it was built for use without a supercharger. That would affect power and may also impact efficiency. Does the seller have receipts? If so, track down the pistons used to see what compression ratio they give. Also check out all the other claimed engine internals.

That's a big cam and Texas Speed recommends a high stall torque converter, which this car has. Again, that's going to affect fuel economy and may impact driveablity. I'm not a modified auto-trans guy, someone else will have to weigh in on this.

How was the fuel system done - that can be a big expense for an LS swap. Does it have an in-tank fuel pump, or is the fuel pump external to the tank. In tank is preferred. What sort of fuel pressure regulator does it have - electronic, factory, other?

This car sounds like it was built as a semi-drag race car, but the plans changed.

I wouldn't consider buying this car without taking it for a 15 minute (or longer) test drive in varying traffic conditions, and I'd try to find someone pretty familiar with early Camaros and LS swaps to check it out for you. You have all the issues of buying a fifty year old car, plus the added issues of the swap.

An LS in a first generation Camaro, done right, is a wonderful, powerful, reliable and fuel efficient combination. Done wrong, and owned by someone who isn't mechanically experienced, it could be not so good.

#4 ·
Very good points to consider!

Very good points to consider. If it's not done right it could be like opening a can of worms one problem after another. I'm actually buying remote so I won't be able to test drive But I Do plan to have inspected.
Here is the listing for the LS swap: survivor-cars.com/inventory/40130/view/0125-TAMPA/Palmetto-FL/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro[/url]
Here another I'm considering w/out an LS swap but with a nice big block 454: streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/1856-nsh/1969-chevrolet-camaro-ss-tribute[/url]

Thank, James

#5 ·
The only way I would buy any car without a personal inspection is if I personally know and
trust the person doing the inspection AND test drive for me. Even then I would be extremely
cautious. Absolutely do not take any dealers word to the bank. The Street Side Classics car is full of
bondo and I'm sure hiding rust. Just look at the paint reflection and pi$$ poor door(s) alignment.
The Survivors Cars is totally fluffed up. Major leak in the trunk.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from dealers.
Here's links to these cars.
https://survivor-cars.com/inventory/40130/view/0125-TAMPA/Palmetto-FL/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro
https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/1856-nsh/1969-chevrolet-camaro-ss-tribute

#6 ·
You have to be careful and know LS engines.

Is it really an LS2 or an Iron Block LQ4 or LQ9? What heads? Intake?

In the car pictured my guess is NOT LS2 as the heads are 317s probably a low compression LQ4.

Look at picture #40. Just below the intake tube to the throttle body. The balance is a rusted pos. Probably indicative of the rest of the build quality.

Also not a very neat install. Sort it a mess to just get it going. The Chinese sheet metal intake is terrible. Not enough intake air velocity and kills low end torque.

It appears this swap was done long ago on a budget.

And its’s a dealer so you can be sure it’s misrepresented and overpriced.

#9 ·
Cheap chinese tubular control arms really don’t add value imho. The floor patchwork has some pretty atrocious welding. Rear drum brakes. Rattle can black over rust on the floors. Original six cylinder car.

So many red flags. A pig sportin’ lipstick imho...

Don

Reactions: 130fe and Vega$69
#8 ·
I've been to Streetside many times. They have a showroom close to my home in Florida.

All of the reasonably priced cars are poor quality. Any good quality cars they have are WAY overpriced. Asking at least 25%-$40% more then they are worth on a good day.

I've watched them staging and artfully photographing cars with lighting adjusted just right to look great from 10 feet away for their website ads.

I've seen cars at our local Cars and Coffee with signs for sale asking $30K that i saw later when the owners consigned at Gateway Classics for $47K Same cars same condition they were when at C&C the week before.

A close friend of mine sent a deposit to Smokey Mountain Trader for a Trans Am he saw online and after talking to them on the phone. I convinced him to get on a plane and fly from Vegas to Maryville, TN to see it in person before he completed the deal. The car was a total misrepresented POS. He did get his deposit back after threatening legal action.

All I can say is if you Enjoy getting screwed then buy from a dealer and you'll get your wish.

#10 ·
You asked?

Look as these pics of the Streetside car. Zoom In Close up.

The AC. Installed with NO heat and under the dash Louvers? I've never seen this done.

Great work installing the gauges too

Hacked in Floor pan repair rattle canned.

Front Grill not painted

No Fan shroud on the BBC it won't stay cool for 5 minutes.

Check the paint finish on the dash around the VIN tag

And just gotta love the exhaust install with the added touch of oil all over it.

Look close at the pics of the scratched stainless window trim, the pitting chrome on the bumpers, the cruddy tail light lenses and then inside close up of the gauge bezel and lenses.

And this is what we can see in the pictures the stealership posted. Can you only imagine what we would see in person.

Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Car Auto part

Vehicle Car Gauge Tachometer Auto part

Auto part Engine

Metal

Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Gauge Center console

Vehicle Auto part Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

#12 ·
I talk to the guys there. Most of their sales are online bought sight unseen and shipped.

Pity the poor suckers when the cars are delivered.

Many buyers finance through them and are buying a the monthly payment not the cost of the car.

They have a nice showroom, nice offices and slick salesmen.

An older couple was just finished the purchase of a car (paying double what it was worth). Went out to the car and they couldn't get it started. The mechanics were trying to figure it out. I just shook my head and left.

#14 ·
Wow your good! You completely opened my eyes (I'm obviously a newb at this). I don't have money just to throw away or waste I saved for my dream classic to take the family out on the weekends and visit local shows. That's sad I could really get had unknowing just on what you brought to my attention on pics alone, thank you. I definitely plan to get any car inspected either remote or local I just hope the inspector will be at-least as thorough as you and better since it's getting inspected. How did you identify it was a 6 before? Can I get your take on one more, this one is in my area so I plan to check it out tomorrow. Also, can you provide any tips/areas to look for when viewing it besides the obvious you brought to my attention already? Thanks again..
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/hayward-1969-camaro-ss/7110712328.html

#15 ·
These cars are hard to own if you don't wrench yourself and don't have a solid grounding in how cars work and how to diagnose issues. Auto parts stores and most mechanics don't know what to do with even a slightly modified 67-69 Camaro. I have a list of five or six cars that I use when looking for parts for my '68. Are you sure this is a path you want to take?

If it is, I'd wait until you can find a car local to you, that you can take for an extensive test drive. I'd go for either dead stock, or extensively documented resto-mod. A well done LSx swap might be good, because then at least you have OBDII available for engine issues.

Buying a 50 year old car is like buying a house, the purchase price is only the beginning - and, as with a house, the less you can do, the more expensive it will be.

If you find the right car, it will build memories for as long as you own it. I took the LS3-T56 '68 I built from eastern Washington to Maine and back this past summer - an unforgettable trip! But, I built the car, and when I ran into an issue I was able to fix it. If I hadn't been able to fix it, it likely would still be in Vermont.

#17 ·
Yeah I'm gonna check that one today. He said it has a little fade on the roof, possible sits outside. He also owns $800 in back fees so I should have some negotiating power.
Here's another for more $$ but looks real clean. There are undercarriage pics and showing Cowl & VIN tags. My only neg would be it's a 327 possible little hp, but my main goal it a clean and honest car.
Here's the listing: restoreamusclecar.com/vehicles/599/1969-chevrolet-camaro-rs-ss[/url]
More pics on flickr: flickr.com/photos/restoreamusclecar/albums/72157698938272460/with/31459255017/[/url]
Give me your take please.
Thanks, James

#20 ·
He also owns $800 in back fees so I should have some negotiating power.
I think you only have to pay those fees if you re-register it in CA. If you're moving it out to state CA has no power.

#18 ·
Not sure it matters but that is also an original 6 cylinder car.

Don

#19 ·
Yes it matters.

You take a hit for the six-cylinder Vin even if it’s a for pro touring LS swap car it doesn’t make sense but that’s the way it is

Send this is another car at a dealer so be prepared to bend over

Just sayin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.