Team Camaro Tech banner

And we thought we had cam problems!!

684 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  JimM 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I had a '97 Taurus. What a POS it was. They broke engine mounts and Ford never re-enginerred them. :mad: What a joke Ford is. I truly believe that is why the 3 major US auto makers will never have the quality and reliability of Toyota. They look at the profitability of fixing a problem, not doing correct engineering. I think Ford made a ton of money on engine mounts and transmissions (another weak link) on that generation of Taurus. A new Taurus runs about the same as a new Camry, but check the residual value after 4 years. I probably seem like a hypocrite owning a Camaro, but a classic car is a little different then paying big $$ for modern reliable transportation. Domestic trucks (and SUV's) are not in the same category as the passenger cars. Sorry for the rant.

#5 ·
Oh boy ... something tells me to stay outta this, but, here goes ... I must be the 1% of auto owners who has had bad luck with foreign made cars. 3 Toyotas (a truck, a Supra and a Celica) and a VW (Scirocco). I will NEVER EVER own another foreign made car. I had nothing but problems with them. The Supra was by far the worst and the Toyota service department (in San Jose) was terrible and fought me on every warranty fix. That stated, the same goes for Dodge after our experiences with the wifes mini van.

On the other hand ... and yes, these are fightin' words ... my '93 Mustang GT has been bullet proof (94,000 miles) and I couldn't be happier with a car and have no trouble buying Ford again (just got an Explorer).

I used to believe that if you just take care of a vehicle, it'll last (at least until the extended warranty expires
). But, with my experiences, it's down to two makers, Ford and Chevy.

#6 ·
If my experiance as a mechanic has taught me anything, it is that every car has problems, if the automakers made a perfect car that would last along time, rarely break down and was enginerred to the hilt it would cost $100,000.

#7 ·
i'm with 67rsss, the best car i have ever owned is my '89 5 liter ragtop, it currently has 240K on it, and quite a few were a 1/4 mile at a time, the thing is just awesome, i doubt i'll ever sell it.
now, i'm not proud of this, but i also owned a honda prelude in my younger years (i actually sold my first '68 for it, forgive me
), and it was an ok car, but was not without problems. namely the timing belt crapped out way early, and the front end (power rack) was so sloppy by the time i sold it, it was a joke. my buddy is a service advisor for a honda dealership and trust me, these cars are NOT living up to thier reputation, they have numerous wierd issues on different models, some carry extended warranty from the factory since certain things break down so much (transmissions particularly), just check out the honda odyssey, that thing has had more trans recalls than you can shake a stick at. the general consensus with the guys at the dealership are outsourced parts are the biggest problem, i think that rings true on all manufacturers anymore.
so in short, i own 3 american cars, and my wife drives a volvo, and hell, ford owns them anyway. i'm a true believer in buy american, the job you save may be your own. its getting harder and harder to find anything mostly american made anymore, unfortunately.
just my .02

#8 ·
I had a loaded Taurus SHO with the Yamaha V6 with a 5 speed stick. It was a freakin' BLAST! 7500 RPM redline, dual stage fuel injection that kicked in at about 5000 RPM! Beat the snot out of that car and it owed me nothing. I sold it when I lost my job and went back to school. Still miss that car.

WEEEEE!!!!
:cool:

-Mark.

#9 ·
I must just be lucky... Since 86...

1986 Monte SS, new, 186,000 no problems ever.
1986 Monte SS, used 40k, sold at 90k, np
1991 vette, new, 36,000 np
1993 vette, new, 138,000 np
1998 vette, new, 45,000 np
1986 blazer, winter beater, np
1996 Jeep, used 40k sols at 169k, np
2004 chevy SS pickup, 22,000 now np

and, of course, 1968 Camaro convertible, 80k on it now, never a problem.

Nope, I'll never buy a foreign car, nor will I complain about the quality and reliability of the American cars I've had!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.