67 conv ss396 L35 BB car whats it worth? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 02, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

what is this car worth? It is quite rusty. Needs floors,trunk,inners,outers,quaters, fenders,new top parts and the int. totally redone. It is a major project. It is all orignal and there. It is a numbers matching car. What would a good price for this car be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 02, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech

sounds like it would be worth at least 10K from your description..

Gary
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 02, 01:54 PM
Jeff

Cave you mean the guy should pay to remove it.
Sounds like alot of work and that will cost $$$$$ and for what you spend on the restore you could find one already on the road and be driving it the next weekend instead of waiting 2+ years to be able to.
Jeff 67/68 7 69 RS's
65 442

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 02, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech

In cave's defense, 10K is being realistic. 10K to buy, 10-15K to restore, got yourself a 25K car. Probably wouldn't be an investment that's going to bring great returns, but you could easily break even, and have a great time doing it. KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/

North Texas Camaro Club

Hobbystage Free Picture Posting!!! http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396/
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 02, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech

Jeff, it's a matching # big block conv...it's a 30K car restored..he asked what it's worth, not necessarily a price to start the "bids"
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 02, 06:49 PM
Jeff

Was only kidding. But I still think that no more than 5k for it since it needs more or less completely new sheetmetal all the way around. esp when it needs new top parts. top as in ROOF???
But you are right after its done and on the road it would be one very nice vehicle and enjoyable to drive.
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442

[This message has been edited by HawaiianCamaro (edited 01-27-2002).]
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 02, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech

Wake up, Jeff...Can you say C.O.N.V.E.R.T.I.B.L.E.?

[This message has been edited by cavemate (edited 01-26-2002).]
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 02, 07:20 PM
Jeff

Yes I can guess it reminds me of one that was here and needed everything. Still would keep to my guns at 5K and all. Maybe 10 if it were a RS/ss
jeff 67/68 & 69 RS"SSSSSSSSS
65 442

[This message has been edited by HawaiianCamaro (edited 01-27-2002).]
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 02, 04:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I'm with Jeff. Are you going to do the repair work yourself or have a shop do it ? If you have a shop do the rust repair and paint you will have alot more than 30K in it by the time you are done. Are the Rocker panels rusted out ? Convert. rockers are thicker metal than coupes. Where will you get replacements ? With the rust that you describe , every nut and bolt on the car will be rusted stuck. You will almost need a Donor car just to replace all the nutsy boltsy stuff. Even the rear end will be very pitted. You will probably want to find a subframe that is not rusted. In 10 years you will be the guy advising people to start with a good body.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 02, 05:49 AM
Tech Team

Charley that truly sounds like a guy speaking from experience. I agree 100%. It always IS worse than it looks!! Jim
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 02, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

It probably is a $30K car when completed, so work it backwards and try to figure out what it would cost to restore and that will leave you with what you should pay. $5K is probably the range of what you should pay for it, but someone else will be willing to pay $10K thinking they can do the work themself when they have time some day.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 02, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Colors are important, too!! What are the factory codes??
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 02, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

If you can do the work it might be worth it if you have to have it. Otherwise it sounds like one of those cars where the owner sinks a ton of cash into it and sells it for a lot less than he has in it. Then the next owner does the same, and so and so on.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 02, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech

Convertibles are appreciating at the speed of light. But, I just got off my wife's 69 RS convertible with all the trimmins and have at least 35K in the car. It's not a numbers matching car but has some very good accouterments to go with like air, all leather non stock interior and lot's of hp to go.

I have been offered $45K for the car and turned it down, so worth is relative to the guy who's bidding and the guy who's building. There were two fools doing something foolish...the one offering and the one refusing to sell. Of course...it's my wife's. Oooooops, I forgot anywho?

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 01-27-2002).]
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 02, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So about 3k for this car would be worth it? I dont have the trim numbers on me at the moment. But when I decoded it at camaros.org. It was a v8 conv. car with custom buckets,tinted front window,marina blue and it had the option code 4N. Which from what I decode to be an l35 SS396 bigblock car with 325HP and it has the quadra jet carb as the 325hp motor did.

I have a couple options... Maybe buy it and move it on e-bay. Or buy it and sell my 68 to restore this one. My 68 is only a six so it won't be worth nearly as much as this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode