Recommendations on gauges - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 02, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I'm looking to put some gages in my 68 when I replace the 6 cyl with a 350. I don't want to spring for a console with gages at this time. I was just thinking of one of those cheap sets you mount under the ashtray (the usual 3 gages). Reading another recent thread, I'm afraid of the oil line leaking so I guess I'll go with braided or copper line.
First question is where is the best place to run the oil line and wires through the firewall?
Second question is can I get those gages with the oil pressure gage on the block and just a wire running thru the firewall in the kind of setup I'm looking at? If so who carries them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 02, 04:04 AM
Senior Tech
John

If you look in the factory assembly manual, at the firewall piercing page, there is a dimple in the firewall where the factory drilled the hole for the oil line. If you drill that hole a little larger, you can run the wires through it too. Be sure to use a rubber grommet in the hole.
I've never used an electic oil guage, so I can't give you a recommendation on that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 02, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech

I wouldnt be afraid to use a mechanical type oil gauge. If done properly with quality hose and fittings it should fine and the accuracy would be better than an electric gauge.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 02, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech

To drill the firewall in the correct location for the oil line does make for a very neat and clean setup in the engine compartment. The down side is that the hole comes out behind the heater box on the inside. I had to fish the line thru with a coat hanger which turned out to be a project in it self. As big of a hassel as it was though, I'd do it the same way again. However you decide to do it, just make sure you use a rubber grommet.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 02, 09:27 AM
kel
Senior Tech

I use the Autometer electric gauges and love them. All you have to do is run wires through the firewall. No problems there, use the grommet as stated above. Summit, Jegs and others all carry them. I went with the three gauge setup like you described and it worked out great.

Today's elctric gauges are every bit as accurate as the mechanical ones.

Kel

------------------
North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 02, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I don't have a factory assembly manual. Can anyone give me the offsets from a common reference point?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 02, 06:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

How about the 3 guage setup near the top of the center dash bezel? I don't have this but was also thinking of adding guages and thought it looked very finished. However, I looked in my catalogs for it and didn't find anyone selling it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 02, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Can't say that I know what your talking about?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 02, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech

You have mail....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 02, 03:20 PM

I need to drill a hole for guages too, but I cant find any "Firewall piercing" in the manuals I have, to find the "correct" factory location.

I have a '69 and I have the Fisher Body service manual and 1969 Chassis service manual for Chevelle/camaro/corvette.

Can someone be more specific about where in these manual the info is located.

If its not in the manuals I have, can someone email me the correct page or email me a picture of where to drill.

Thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 02, 03:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

Winch,

See pages 23 and 55 of the Paddock Camaro catalog P2C1. It shows 3 gauges above the heater slide controls. Looks like a 67 or 68 dash. Does anyone know if someone sells this setup?

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode