Should I put a CA emissions package in? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

I need some advice guys. I have a beautiful 1981 Z28 but the problem is that i am moving to california. i do not want to let go of this car because quite plainly, i'm in love with it. the main problem is that the previous owner had made some modifications that are definitely not street legal here in NY, and for sure not legal in CA with their strict emissions laws. i belivee that the emissions system in my car is not really functional, or at least not as functional as it should be.

question is, should i take the engine back to stock and replace the emissions system with a CA package? does anybody have any idea how much a job like this would cost, in CA or in NY? i'm fighting myself between bringing this car up to CA standards, or just buying an older camaro that does not need to pass any emissions tests in CA. i don't really want to get rid of my current car because i have put alot of time, love, and money into it, and i wouldn't want to just hand it over to some kid who's gonna abuse it.

anyways, thanks in advance for any help or advice you guys can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 12:01 PM
Tech Team

The way I understand Ca. emission laws are whatever emission equip. came on the car when new, must be present & functioning. No matter how clean it runs, without the original smog equip, it will not pass the visual portion of the test. You do not have to have calif. emission equip. on a car that didn't have it from the factory, an emission decal posted somewhere under the hood or on the core support either designates as meeting federal standards, or the more stringent Ca. standards. After that, it must also pass a smog test. So I guess it all depends on how much you really love your car! Hope this helps, Terry
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 05:05 PM
David Pozzi

I had a 79 Z/28 in California and it had a quadrajet carb with lots and lots of hoses, thermostatic valves to switch the hoses on and off, an air pump, cat converter, egr, etc.

It can be done, but a lot depends on what you have of the system now, or what you can find.
The emissions setup would be the same as most standard GM engines of the early 80's.
I think my 79 pickup would have almost the same stuff on it.
It sounds like you really like your Camaro so I'd try to find the parts to convert it.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech

why do they have laws like that? as long as it burns clean, they shouldn't care what's been done to it or what's missing. in fact, a 20 year old converter or egr valve might do more harm than good. why don't the eco freaks understand this stuff, and maybe get some sensible laws passed? maybe us "car guys" have to get off our butts and get some sensible laws passed.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 01:29 PM
Team Member
John

All the engineering logic and commom sense on the planet wouldn't mean a thing to the weirdos on the CARB (California Air Resources Board), followed closely by the nutballs who populate the California Legislature. These are the geniuses who have made the rules that say that any manufacturer who wants to sell cars in California in 2003 must make sure 10% of their sales are electric cars. DUH!!

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 01:43 PM
CJ
Senior Tech
Cris

If you want to retain some performance why don't you look into some of the aftermarket FI systems(Edelbrock, Holley). You may even look into the factory TPI set up. Once you install one of these systems all you would have to do then is visit the CARB referee station to have them conduct their test. They just want to make sure the car will burn clean.

[This message has been edited by CJ (edited 03-31-2002).]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I had a 75 powerwagon that was a federal emissions truck. (Bought new out of calif.)
I only had to have a closed air cleaner & heat riser to it. A couple of vacumn lines, I still don't what they were for.
I got away with headers & 4 barrel.
If that doesn't work for your situation, do what I do.
Have a emissions legal 350, 2 bl, air inj. turn key motor on the engine stand. Swap motors accordingly. I've had that 1 motor in 4 vehicles now. But up here in this particular county in No. Cal., you only smog once at purchase, then your done. (Now you guy's know why I'm up here in the mountains.) LOL That's life in calif.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 07:50 PM

The smog laws in CA are ignorant at best. The millions of cars and factories in the bay area are not required to pass the current tests. The central valley, where all the bay area smog rolls to, are required to test because the air quality is poor from the bay area smog!

It all depends on what county your moving to. Some test, some don't.

"TSN100" is correct. You will need to pass visual first. If you have a good Cat Converter, Change your oil, Lean out your carb, and put a 210 thermostat in. Make sure your car is HOT before testing. Worked for me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech

Now it's my turn. I have a job opportunity that would require me to move to the Santa Barbara/Ventura area. About the only smog equipment I have on my car is the PCV valve. It was originally a California car but the original BB is gone in favor of a 400 SB, etc., etc. Any idea how I find out what rules I have to live with?

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 04:57 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RockyMtnRacer:
Now it's my turn. I have a job opportunity that would require me to move to the Santa Barbara/Ventura area. About the only smog equipment I have on my car is the PCV valve. It was originally a California car but the original BB is gone in favor of a 400 SB, etc., etc. Any idea how I find out what rules I have to live with?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out www.dmv.ca.gov/dmv.htm Pre 73 should not have to go to the ref when coming into state. there was a recent law change that exempted out of state cars from it when registering in CA. Search the site way back (maybe the tech 2000 forum and for the letter of the law refrence the link.

You'll love the area, I grew up in SB and spent 7 years in Camarillo (Just south of Ventura prior to moving north...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 07:01 PM

For the original poster: I hate to say it, but I know multiple guys who have slipped there local smog inspector who is also a hot rod guy $50 and got a smog certificate. Not a legal way of doing it, but gets the job done. Those people that sit on the C.A.R.B. have been huffing nitrous.

DjD is right, any cr pre-73 is exempt from smog requirements. You can run whatever you want, and emissions are not even questioned. It's great for us pre-73 guys, but sucks for the late model guys.

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Danz, that's good to know, that's kinda the way people do it in NY, but its the visual that probably won't cut it... i believe thats done by CHiPs or some official government agency.

I had my eye on a nice 73, but it only had a 302, and i've only got a 350, but i love it... of course you can probably say that i can play with the 302 enough to blow away my current engine...

i've got a couple of months to decide...i probably won't decide till the last day!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 03:42 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Anyone that puts their career on the line for $50 is a fool. I'm not saying guys don't do it but they face all kinds of bad if they get caught!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode