Small HEI - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 68 Camaro with an Eddelbrock 350 RPM performer. I need a good vacuum advance distributor. The problem with HEI is that it won't fit without redesigning the firewall. I believe I've heard of an HEI system with an external coil using a smaller cap / rotor and possibly an pulse amplifier. Can anyone tell me where I might find this beast and what model vehicles it was available. Suggested alternatives are welcome - I'd just like to stay away from breaker points and high-dollar performance ignition systems if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 02:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
I went with the MSD Ready to Run and the blaster 2 coil. I swapped out the cap to one with HEI style terminals so my existing plug wires would work.

The HEI that was in the car required firewall massaging and I couldn't even adjust the timing effectively/easily.

It'll cost you $300 or so but now I'm loving life!

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech

Highly recommend Dave's. You get a rebuilt unit matched to your combo for a reasomable price.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 04:16 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I'm running a Dave's....

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 07:43 PM
Tech Team

I just installed an HEI on my 67 camaro. I had to massage the firewall, and even though I got the distributer in i felt like I had failed.

I highly recommend not beating in the firewall, however it's your car so do what ever you want.

I've heard Dave's smallbody HEIs are good but have had no personal experience with them.
Richard
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 04:52 PM
BC

I would highly recommend the Daves' Smallbody HEI also.

One other option tho, I was just reading a magazine today that had a write-up of the new Pertronix system that converts your old points distributor into a nice electronic uint. It didn't have a price tho, so I bet it's expensive.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Mallory Unilite, It's small, looks good and packs a punch. I have had many over the years on different camaro's, It drops right in, and I've never had a problem with any of them.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

On the pertronix system, inexpensive ($69-$79 bucks) so easy to install that a Ford guy could do it(sorry, just had to take the shot) and absolutly stone stock looking and good up to 7000 RPM's. I'm extremely happy with mine. HEI performance with stock looks.
The only difference is that there is an extra wire to the coil (I used a blaster 2 painted black). It just doesn't get any cheaper and better than this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 04:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I like the sound of that Pertronix conversion. I need to get everything yet for my 350. Can I get a points distributor at first but get a Pertronix flame thrower coil that will work with the conversion and use it until I do the conversion?

[This message has been edited by Winch (edited 04-02-2002).]
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

You can always run a breaker point ignition. In fact I'm considering doing the same. A refurb vacuum advance unit at Auto-zone is $29.95 less cap, and rotor. I'm not certain if the vacuum can is adjustable or not. Problem with breaker points is the need for adjustment and periodic maintenance. Also, standard breaker points will bounce about 5000 RPM or so. However, it is a good cheap way to get the car running until you have the funds and motivation to upgrade.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 06:06 AM

I had the same problem with a smashed in firewall just to install a large HEI. We have a local guy that built me a Mallory Dist. with a pertronix module. It works great & the firewall has been smoothed out for a cleaner look.
Check out the pics.
Dan

------------------
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/dsmart
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 06:59 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Keep in mind if a part fails and you are in Podunk Anywhere will the local autoparts store have the parts you need to get you on the road. A night or two in a hotel might pay for a Dave's HEI and he provides a parts list that can be had over the counter anywhere.

Just to throw out another choice DUI is now selling a small body HEI and their large body HEI's are said to be good quality.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 06:44 AM
BC

I looked up the article on the Pertronix conversion I mentioned earlier, so here is some more info. The article is in the Spring 2002 Chevy Classics magazine, page 86.

This is a new system from Pertronixs called the Ignitor II electronic ignition. The difference, according to the article, is that Pertronix has added a "powerful microcontroller that provides a variable dwell setting, ultimately resulting in the best-possible spark over the engines entire rpm range." Supposedly, this variable dwell thing is the cats' meow and "really sets the Ignitor II apart from the rest."

I guess we'll see... just wanted to restate that this system is NOT the same Pertronix system lots of people have used.

Bill C.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech

As an alternative to Mallory and MSD systems, check out the Accel Billetproof 71000 series distributor. With the correct Accel coil, both ran about $225 from Summit. Seems to be a much better Value than other brands. I can't comment on Dave's but they seem to come highly recommended. Just thought I would provide another choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode