What is a 70 6cyl worth? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I have access to a 70 camaro. So far, all i know is that it has a 6 cylinder, and 48k original miles.

This car is a FLA car, owned by a 79 year old lady and she no longer wants to drive. It has never been hit, and has no rust. Since it has a 6 in it, i'm sure it's pretty optionless. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. What is the ballpark for a car like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 03:49 PM

Name your price and see if she bites. Show up with $1000.

People aren't exactly falling all over themselves for 6 cylinder cars, but if grandma drove this and the body is solid - that'll put you $$$$ ahead on your hot rod.

6 cylinder cars could be optioned nicely. Custom interior, posi rear end, Rally Sport appearance package were available.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech

I saw that car on ebay, and has been for sale for sometime. It appears to be a nice car, let me know when you see it in person. cpi price guide is at $7300. The car has low miles and is original. I would not pay much more than $5000-6000 depending on actual condition and original paperwork. Even if it is just a six, i would keep it original. Everyone always pulls a six for an eight.

------------------
71 camaro Z-28 clone / 67 Z-28

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

No, this car was not on EBAY. I checked it out today. It is a 70, 46k miles, dark green paint. It had some surface rust that the original owner painted over with, from what i can tell, spray paint. it dosne't look all that bad considering. The original owner recently died (he was 81) and his sister wants to sell the car. It has a tan interior, the door panels are aged, i was able to see the back seat - it looks great. The front seats are all covered up, so i have no idea of their condition. The only option the car has is power steering. The car looks 32 years old, but it has no real rot except a tiny spot at the bottom of the drivers door pillar. They are looking to get $2k for it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Snag it. Offer $1500. Leave the six in it and trick it. That would be cool.
NastyZ, A posi was offered on a six cylinder car? Why?

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech

Steve, you need to drive one in the snow and you will understand why a posi was offered on a 6 banger.

[This message has been edited by bowtie-70 (edited 04-02-2002).]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 07:32 AM

See what I mean. Show up with 2 large. Put 15 on the table and see what happens. IF they don't budge take the other 5 c-notes out.

Hopefully this is a 3 speed car, and it probably doesn't have A/C.

The body is solid, the wiring & glass is probably fine - drop a 454 in the thing, block sand it and paint it. For a total investment of $4500 - 5000 you got a nice pile.

i.e. something someone might give you $7000+ for if you do it right.

Save the original stuff just in case. I highly doubt anyone in their right mind will give you big $$$ for a completely restored, 6 cylinder, green w/tan car. For the same type of $$$ they'd be shopping for a Z28 or SS.

I personally wouldn't treat this car like the 67-69 6 cylinder all original car.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Why not put a header and a four barrel manifold on the six banger. Add a cam and some head work and I bet it could stand up to most cars. Be it ricers or older v-8 cars. The worst thing that can happen to a ricer is getting beat by a camaro with a straight six.

Plus if you keep the 6 it might be worth alot of money 10 or 15 years from now when it will be the only one left on earth. Very few camaros where made with a 6 and even fewer are left to this day.

------------------
70 Camaro 307cid(350soon) /350th ex. dark purple (dark blue soon) in. black
74 Trans Am 400cid/th400 ex. red in. red power windows
www.picturetrail.com/joekool
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 06:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
That's what I was thinking. I've never seen a 2nd gen with a 6. It will be a museum piece someday. The only one left. A freak of nature of sorts. LOL
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 02:37 AM
Senior Tech
John

if you want to hop up the six... check out www.cliffordperformance.com
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 05:15 AM

My 1st Camaro was a 6. They're very common and an easy way to get a cheap car. Everyone wants a V8 Camaro. The big $$$ jobs are Z28's and SS's, etc... lots of people pass up the 6 unless they're bagging it for parts. Which is why I said I'd be all over this car like a cheap suit. You can spend around $3000 - 8000+ straightening the body out on one of these cars and if this car simply needs to be cleaned up and painted, you just saved a bunch of cash.

You can modify the 6 cylinder, but it's a cost vs. benefits issue. Total up what it'll cost for modifications, say... $1500. And you wind up with 200 - 250 hp?
Or you can spend the $1500 on a new crate engine with warranty and 250hp in the box with more potential. If you open your wallet more the horsepower #'s go up quickly.
(300hp, 330hp, ZZ4, etc...)

Also the straight 6 sounds goofy with a header on it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 08:50 AM
Senior Tech

I had a 68 4sp 250" with the clifford header and offy intake with holley 390 on it. The car would take most 327 2bbl cars, but people would threaten to beat me up because it did sound "goofy"

That was a sweet car, and was one of the first victims of cell phones, the moron was going about 45mph and creamed me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode