STARTER INSTALL PROBLEM - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello.
I bought a mini starter for my 383 and put it in place. I made sure it was straight and checked the gap with the ring gear in place.I can wiggle the gear back an forth freely when the gear is fully engaged. It all checked out. The problem is when I slide the gear out toward the flywheel it slides in fine but when I release it the spring pulls back and hangs up about three quarters of the way back and doesnt disengage. I notices that the gear shaft has twisted grooves on it and I think when the gear pulls back it twists as it goes back and that is why it hangs. Is the shaft suppose to twist as it disengages? The only thing I can think of is that it twists in the direction the flywheel turns so that it will disengage easier when the fly wheel is turning. Am I right in thinking this way or should the gear engage and disengage freely by hand.any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Have you tried shimming the starter.Some times if you tighten one starter bolt too tight, it can change the angle just enough to make the gear drag a little.
Bob
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes I tried shimming the starter. I let it hang down 1/4 inch and still the same problem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Cameron

I believe that you are correct. The starter gear twists slightly when it retracts. This is causing the gear to hang when you try to retract it with the engine not running. When the engine is running, the gear can twist and retract on its own. The reason for this is so that rotation of the engine actually helps the gear retract. Try starting then engine and see if it does indeed retract when you let off of the key. Have the negative battery terminal loose in case the starter does not disengage. If it doesn't, when you turn the key off the engine will shut off, but the starter will likely still turn because the solenoid will be stuck. The only way to disengage it in this case would be to unhook the battery.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Don

I had the same problem with a Summit mini starter, but after a few starts, it loosened up and has worked great ever since.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

i believe you are correct about the twisting. i noticed this when checking my 406 starter engagement. it kind of threw me off for a second too, but as you said, when it's running as normal, things will be turning and it will kick back out.if it is free when its engaged, you should be just fine. i actually moved the flywheel a hair when checking and it kicked right out.hope that helps, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode