Poor gas mileage on daily driver...HELP??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
kcs
Senior Tech
Kevin

First of all I want to say that I am a registered user of this site and I do have a 68rs/ss Camaro. My problem is the poor gas mileage on my daily driver. I recently bought a 1999 Chev 3/4 ton, crew cab, 4x4, with the 5.7 litre 350, auto trans. My problem is that it only gets 9-10 mpg. It has a K&N air raid filter system, dual exhaust, and 285-16inch tires, if it matters. When I bought the truck it also had a Hypertech Programmer Plus hand held computer programmer that you can load to change shift points, increase hp., etc. I had the computer reloaded back to the stock settings in hopes that whoever loaded it before had it loaded incorrectly. It did not work! It still has been getting about 9 mpg. Also, I don't know what gears I have in the rearend and the "check engine" light does not come on. Any help would really be apreciated. I'm tired of buying GAS!!!Thanks for any help on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 04:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Wow! That's not right. I don't know what's wrong with your truck, but if it were me, I'd be talking to a dealer mechanic. Throw it on the computer and see what's up.
I only get 9 MPG in my 3/4 ton chevy too. But that's because it's a 29 year old dinosaur with a big block.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 04:46 PM
Retired
Jim

Hi kcs.. I have a 97 Tahoe 350 auto 4x4 so its pretty similar to your set up. Ive not played with the chips at all, but I get 16 to 17 mpg on the highway at 70mph and 13 around town.
I did change both differentials to Amsoil gear lube, Amsoil in the engine and new transfer case oil too. I know that will help your mileage but othes will have to comment on the computer chip.
good luck
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech

i don't think a 3/4 ton crew cab 4X4 will ever get much over 10 mpg. for the amount you spend on gas in one month, you probably could buy a little 4 cylinder beater to drive every day, unless you NEED a 6500 pound brick to get you around.
in a nutshell, don't expect 25 MPG out of that thing, except maybe coasting in neutral down a very steep, long hill with a good tailwind. it just won't happen.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 07:07 PM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

The mpg sounds about right for a 3/4 ton pickup. My 98 Chev 1/2 ton got 14 with off road style tires. My 3/4 99 burb with a 454 gets 10mpg. 3/4 tons were not built for gas mileage. As heavy as they are the 350 is working pretty hard. I expect if you put a load on that thing it will drop to 8mpg. My Burb is not my daily driver. Sorry for the bad news. I can't stand little cars so my commuter is a 87 Monte SS and it gets a steady 20 mpg and the ride is a little smoother than the 3/4 ton burb(6"pro comp lift and 35 inch tires) Good Luck

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 05:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I don't agree. I think his truck should do better than 9-10 mpg.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 06:09 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
My '96 2x4 2500 had big tires and got about 2mpg more than what click is getting in his 4x4. My first question is what are your driving habits? If you're keeping your foot out of it mileage should be better. If you like to hit it hard when passing and have a heavy foot in general that could be the cause... Gears can also make a big difference and check to make sure you're not in 4 high also...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

Send a message via AIM to DanCamm
Another vote here for normal....I have had both '94 and '96 Z71 ext. cabs with the 350...If I kept my foot out of them, I'd see an avg. of 11 mpg around town. I realize that single digit mpg numbers are a little tough to swallow, but for a 3/4 ton, I don't think that's too out of the ordinary...keep in mind, my '96 was only rated at 13 on the window sticker, and that was for a 1/2 ton.

------------------
Dan Camm
1969 Daytona Yellow RS/SS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
kcs
Senior Tech
Kevin

Here to give more info on subject. I did bring it to a dealer mechanic and they agree with me that it should get low teens in city and mid teens on highway. The Amsoil idea may be the ticket. As for a 4 cylinder beater, NEVER!!! I wouldn't put my wife and kids in a pop can with idiots going 70 mph. next to her. She actually drives the truck daily. I don't think she has her foot in it too much, or so she tells me. Some friends have trucks simalar to mine with 454's and they get better then me. I have been told to check the oxygen sensor because if they get bad, they will do this and still not show up on the computer as bad???Well, more ideas are welcome and to "click", I am a little over an hour from you. When I'm up in Brainerd next time, I'll have to give you a shout!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 09:17 AM
Retired
Jim

Great, look forward to meeting one day soon.
There are a few in this neck of the woods that have 1st gen cars.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode