Please help new stroker, many questions - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

I just finished having a 350 built into a 383 stroker by a good friend of mine and I have some questions / problems. I am running a hydraulic roller, roller lifters, and roller rockers and the things are ticking like crazy, any suggestions. Thats one. Also I have a breather in each valve cover and oil is blowing out from under them, before they were installed I blew out my dipstick going down the road. Thats two. Lastly for now, how much oil should a 7-1/4 hamburger pan hold, I have to put in 10 quarts to be at the full mark on my dipstick. Answer all or any but please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 09:02 PM
xodus921

The ticking should be from the roller rockers. As far as I know they ussually tick a little. The oil I'm not sure of but could you have to much oil in the pan? I'm not sure what you mean by 7-1/4 hamburger pan? Are you sure the 7-1/4 is not what it holds? I thought most racing pans hold about 8 quarts on average... Could you need a different dipstick with that pan? Hope this helps some...

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear[/list]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
You might remove the valve covers, clean the inside with lacquer thinner, find some scrap alum, make a plate to fit between the two valves on the head, but allow room for the breather to breath, and use JB Weld to glue the plate into the cover to use as a baffle for the oil breather. This might help with the oil coming out of the breathers.

If not, then the rings may need to be seated by driving the car, in high gear only, from 20 to 50 mph at WOT, coast to 20, then back into WOT. Do this for about 10-12 times, change oil and filter.

Sounds about correct for 10 quarts of oil. You might want to get another dipstick, pour in 5 or 6 qts, fill the oil filter, and make a new dipstick to register the new LOW level, then pour in the last quart, and make a new FULL level.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

You should never run two breathers - if you do it will puke oil out the dipstick, breathers, etc. You should run a PCV valve into one valve cover and a breather on the other. Think of it like air circulation through your crank case - air goes in the breather, through the engine, out the PCV into the carb and burned. A PCV WILL NOT hurt performance in any way.

A 7-1/4 quart oil pan should hold 7-1/4 quarts plus whatever it takes to fill your oil filter. Your dipstick tube may not be seated fully into the block causing the dipstick to read too low. Sounds like the dipstick is not reading right.

Roller rockers will make a little light clicking noise, that is normal. If you hear a louder clacking noise you have a rocker arm or two that need to be adjusted tighter. With the engine running loosen the adjusting nut until the rocker clacks, then re-tighten until it stops, then go 1/4-1/2 turn tighter.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 04-03-2002).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech

Do a search in engine and drive train achieves on positive crankcase ventilation(pcv) very informative
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 04:39 PM

Eric68 nailed it.
You need crankcase evacuation.
I run a pcv valve on my 454 on one bank and
a breather on the other, no oil leaks or
misting.Baffled covers help also, but pvc
is essential on street engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode