Whats Protecto-Plate worth ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

There's a guy selling a big time fixer upper 69 x-33 Z here. And he has the protecto-plate, and I was wondering what it is worth if anything. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

On a numbers matching, top of the line restored, or a survivor car it might be worth a grand in added value as part of the cars documentation package to prove the car came with the same equipment that is presently on it. This probably represents about 2 to 3 percent of such a car's selling price. On a 7 to 8 grand big time fixer upper its worth about 350 bucks assuming the original components are still with the car.

Does the "big time fixer upper" have any original components left on it. If it doesn't the POP isn't worth the steel it's stamped out of unless someone wants to know what codes should be stamped on the replacement components to make it a "numbers matching" car.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech

It really depends on the car. If the car is a 6 cylinder, low option vehicle the POP is worthless. If it is a 68 Z28 or big block SS the POP will authenticate the car as being genuine and therefore adds a lot of value to the vehicle.

Scott.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech

I hope you're not asking what the Protect-O-Plate itself is worth...not cool.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 02:32 PM

My cowl tag came up missing after leaving a body shop. Are there any options on TPL4A7
replacement cowl tags? A company that will restamp a tag for you? I imagine all the original specs can be gathered from the vin numbers and other identification #'s on the car. Am I mistaken and totaly out of luck? The car is heavily modified so a stock cowl tag may not be worth the trouble. Complete 87 Vette front suspension, 455HO motor, ford 9-in rear etc. all transplanted into a 1969 base model 350 Firebird.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I have the POP for my base X44 car. The fact that I have it is better than not. Does it make the car worth any more, I doubt it but everyone in the know is just a little bit impressed.

------------------
Robert Johnson

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
350ci 700r4 3.55 posi
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I checked it out a little more today.

It has all the stuff I guess on the inside, tach, tilt, all the gauges, console, correct shifter. Needs entire interior kit for the seat, doors, dash, etc.

The car has 4.11 posi, I looked up the code and its right. Has 15" ralleys, they came with 14" did'nt they? The 4 speed is a Muncie, and has VIN #'s that match the vehicle.

He has no matching block or heads. But has what I can tell alot of parts that are DZ. Carb, intake, air cleaner, alt. brackets, pulleys valve covers and .030 TRW L2210 or 2200 pistons, it has like a double stamp on the 3rd digit, both 0 and a 1. With real knobby domes on them.

The Chassis, he went all the way thru it, new coils for the front, stock rear springs, poly bushings thru out. New ball joints, bearings and races, plus subframe connecters. Has manaul steering in it.

Body, he has new rear quarters, good back end, good doors and trunk lid. He bought a entire front clip less hood, off from Ebay.

Hood is repo cowl hood. No emblems or chrome, except around windows. All the door seal rubber thru out the car needs replaced.

No grille or blinker lights, does have the bezels though. Rust is the trunk that you can put one finger thru, right rocker panel has about 3" of it in the middle. And a 6" strip on the dash under the bottom of the front windshield.

And he found the protecto-plate for it. He said he had it, just did'nt know where it was. Its still wrapped in the original GM documentation. Plus he had all the slips and reciepts from the original owner, showing when and what he had the dealership upgrade.

I just saw one that said for the tilt and sevice records, and then he stuffed it all back in the manilla.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Oh yea, he wants 5 for it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 04:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Sounds fair.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Cornholio,
If you deside to pass on the car could I get the number, as I have been looking for a Project Z.
Thanks,
Nick

------------------
69 Z/28 X77 D80 83000 original miles,DZ 302, M-21, BU 373 Rear End, ZL-2 Ducted Hood, Daytona Yellow, Black Deluxe, Tilt, Factory AM/FM, Console Gauges.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 11:56 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Corn, Z28's came with 15" wheels.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So do you guys think this is a good deal?

Or just so-so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode