speedometer is off - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just finished my 69 and my speedometer is 15 mph fast. I have a 350 turbo with a 373 posi rear, tires are 235 60 x 15. I was told that you can buy a gear reduction adapter that hooks to the cable. I cant seem to find any info on this. Has anyone used one and where can I get one. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Don

We have a local speedo shop that makes them up for us, any ratio you'd like...about $55.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How do I figure the ratio. It is 15 mph fast, so what do I need to correct it. Thanks.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Don

You could put it the rollers that a few of the speedo shops have now, or a ballpark method is to use the mile markers on a highway, using your odometer readings compared to "actual" miles traveled.
Just as an example, let's say you traveled 100 miles on the highway, and your odometer says you've traveled 115...you'd need an adapter to correct a 15% error.
Of course, this is assuming your speedo head and odometer "jive".

I'm sure there are a lot of different methods, but this works.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yogi,

Just pull out your speedometer cable from your tranny and replace the speedometer gear with one that has less teeth. Generally you'll get 3 mph reduction per tooth.

This topic has been covered before. Search the site to get technical details.

Dave
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the help! All replies are appreciated and I will search for past posts on this topic.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech

either that or order the correct gears from Ricks first gen,
www.firstgen.com , download the transmission section of the catolog (pdf file) its on page 6 or 7, basically lists all the gears for year/trans/ and rear.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS/SS,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am looking at the catalog right now. They have a driving gear and a speedometer gear. The speedo gear lists one for 3:73 rear but how do I know which driving gear to use? They list 4 different sizes. Thanks.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 03:14 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Yogi...Try out this Speedo-Calculator. Hope it helps...
http://www.700r4.com/SpeedOCalc/

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech

Hi yogi.

I wouldn't worry about the output gear unless you plan on tearing down your transmission. That gear is located on the output shaft of the trans and can only be replaced by pulling the tranny apart. You should be pretty close with a 24 tooth gear. I just finished rebulding a M-20 and used a 24 tooth gear for my 69 with the same 3:73 rear and well/tire combo as you have. I haven't installed my new tranny yet but all my calculations came up with that result.

Good luck.

------------------
Doug

'69 SS clone 350/300
'65 327/275 Corvette Coupe(previously)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech

on a TH350 it is easy to get to the speedo gears- drop the driveshaft, take off the tailshaft, and you are there. the gear is held on with a metal clip that you can remove with you fingers or a small screwdriver.
all you need to do is figure out what your engine speed is at 60 MPH, then divide by 1000. this is your final drive ratio. if it is 2000 at 60, for example, you have a 2:1 drive ratio. with that, if you had a 10 tooth drive gear, you would need a 20 tooth driven gear. a little easy math is all you need to do. just count the teeth on the drive gear, and divide by your drive ratio, and get a driven gear with that many teeth on it.
sorry, but i can't find my Auto Math book to tell you the formulas, but i have posted it all here before. do a search, and you should be able to find it.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 08:07 AM

There is a place called, Bob's Speedometer Service, ph#248-473-9006. It is in Farmington Hills, Michigan. If you call, they will ask you a few questions about your rear end gear ratio, tire diameter, etc. Then for about $35 they will build you a speedo reduction cluster, it is in a small aluminum box that hooks up in line between your speedo cable and trans. If you provide the correct info, they will gaurentee speedo accuracy. I was happy with their service.

------------------
camarodave
'69Z 23,000 orig. miles
Rallye Green/White stripes
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks to everyone. This is a great place to learn all kinds of stuff. I think I will go with the reduction cluster idea. It seems to be the easiest way to do it. Thanks for all the information.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 02:39 AM

Ok maybe I look at this different. I have replaced my trans in my 67. To recal the speedo I did two things. One had a pace car dive with me doing 45 then 65 and note the speed difference from mine to theres. Then take out speedo cluster. Put on bench and use an old speedo cable attached to a drill. Run the drill up to max and hold. Once it stablizes, adjust the speedo + or - the amount that you calulated from the pace car. The adjustment is done with the moveable tab on the back of the speedo. Once in the car you can check it by useing a stop whatch and the mile markers on the road. 60 MPH = 1 minute per mile. It may not be the best way but it will get the job done.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 07:45 PM
David Pozzi

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...432/speedo.htm
Check the Chevelles.com site for a similar chart and method. I think the th 350 is the same as a four speed in the spedo gears. Just get a driven gear that is five teeth more than what you have in there now. About three MPH change for each tooth on the driven gear.
David
------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 04-11-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode