Dash pad clips? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

replaced the dash pad in 69 camaro. No clips were provided with the new dash pad. The old clips don't really set well in the pad slots and seem usless since the provide no spring action to hold the pad doen. This i an OER replacement. Are there other clips that are needed for teh OER dash pad?
thx
joec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Those clips are a pain but you gotta use them. Maybe try a big glob of silicone and let it cure to make them stay long enough to install the dash pad. The instructions that came with my dash pad said to bend the tiny tab inward to tighten the grip a bit but when I tried, they would always snap off! Think about the silicone. I would do it that way next time.

-Mark.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech

Bend the tab a little before you glue them and use a good two part epoxy cement.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech

The clips are identical to what are used on 87-91 full size blazers, check with the dealer.

The dash vents are the same too.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I just installed an OER dash in my '69 and used the original clips. You are correct that they fit a little loose when you clip them to the dash, but they definitely do the job once you install the pad onto the metal dash structure. I didn't think it was a big deal because the clip mounting areas on my original dash were in good condition and the clips fit loosely on the original dash too.

I wouldn't recommend using silicone. The clips hold the pad close to the metal. If the silicone globs are too big, the pad won't rest against the metal.

Thought I would add - the OER repro 69 dash is pretty good. The fit was excellent, but the finish could use more detail. The molded grain and stitching was not as pronounced as my original. It's a great piece for a rodder, but definitely not good enough for a resto freak.

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 04-09-2002).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Ricks sells the one that fits better. It is about 1/2" wider overall. It costs a bit more but fits better. They used to sell both but I doubt it now. I have had both.

-Mark.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Not sure why the one from Rick's would be any better, unless it has to do with molding details. The OER dash fit PERFECTLY - not too short, not too long - and I installed it on a cool 50 degree day. There was absolutely no issue with "making it fit".
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I bent my clips a little and used epoxy to set them in. It worked for me. The pad however seemed a little short because the end flap where the screw hole is on the drivers side doesn't clear the dash. I can't screw in the side of the pad. No one ever notices unless I tell them. Hope yours fits better.

------------------
69 Camaro RS (SS Clone) 350 Daytona Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode