4-speed shift tunnel, non-console - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Are shift tunnels different for 67 and 68 with four speed? Is the hole the same weather you have a console or not? Here is the problem. I have a 67 4 speed with no console. I just bought a shift plate retainer, and it does not look right. Will not sit on the tunnel over the hole right.Looks like the hole is too far to the driverside.The shift plate would have to be bent down where the tunnel curves down. Anyone have pics of a 67 non-console tunnel and shift plate retainer? Thanks,Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 08:24 AM

Sounds like someone manufactured the shift hole themselves. The correct hole is a clean cut with a reinforcement spot welded around it from the underside, unlike the 69 4-speed hole. My 67 is an original 4-speed without console and the shift hole, although not perfectly centered on the tunnel, does not even come close to the edge of the tunnel where it curves downward. All 67's with floorshift auto or manual transmissions have the identical hole in the tunnel. The 68 uses the same configuration but for MANUAL transmissions only. Automatics in 68 used a cable shift eliminating the need for a large hole. If need be, I will photo my shifter. The carpet is removed already.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 09:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

The reinforcement on the underside of the shifter opening is shown pretty clearly in the center photo of the 'collage' below.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

panther, could you send me the pic of the shift hole and shift plate retainer.Does yours have a stamping of LTC on the top? It has the original shift hole and plate spot welded underneath. Either the shift hole was messed up at factory, not centered very well. Or the shift plate retainer is not the right one.In the assembly manual on page 316. The retainer 3893854, mine looks different than pic. Thanks,Roger
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi denis, nice pics. your car is looking great. If i see a pic of the retainer, i will know if i have the right part. Thanks,Roger
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 03:08 PM

Roger, the retainer in the assembly manual looks just like mine. I don't think the factory messed up yours, I think you have the wrong retainer. It should be a rectangle with one side slanted a bit.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 09:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

Roger, I wish that was my car. Those are photos of a crossram 67 Z28, restored by Dave Tinnel in Kentucky, that belonged at the time to Charley Lillard (clill on this site). Here's a picture of my shifter hole from not that long ago:

[This message has been edited by deejaygee (edited 04-14-2002).]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 02, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I must have the wrong shift plate retainer them. The one i just bought is square and not reqtangular like the shift hole. It also has 4 bent tabs to attach the shift plate, but there are two on each side and non on front or back of retainer. Does not look like the pic in the assembly manual. My shift hole is not as well centered as yours denis. I have a shift plate coming, and if it doesn't match the retainer then i know for sure. Thanks,Roger
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 02, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I must have the wrong retainer, mine is square. Not reqtangular like the sift hole. The bent tabs are not right place either. Thanks, Roger
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 02, 09:03 AM

You may have one for a 70-up Camaro...they were square.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode