COLUMN LASH LINKAGE? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello I jsut installed a set of dynomax headers in my 69. I have a floor shift automatic and noticed a linkage that connects to a bracket from the transmission to a linkage that connects to a bracket on the steering shaft. In the book they refer to this as a COLUMN LASH? Do I need this linkage and bracket set up with a floor mounted automatic shift? Why would this be on there, and can I remove it . Do I need it, what purpose does it serve? I thought the tranny shifts directly from the shift on the floor. I just dont want to remove anything that I am gonna need, but iF I dont need it I want to remove it.
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 09:24 AM
Team Member
John

Mark -

The linkage from the trans to the bellcrank on the subframe and from there up to the lever at the bottom of the steering column is connected to a tube inside the column which moves the "collar" just forward of the steering wheel; it's there to only allow the ignition to be turned into the "Lock" position (so you can remove the key) when the transmission is in "Park" - it's explained in your Owner's Manual. Most headers interfere with the linkage, which must be removed, so guys with headers and a floor-shift automatic usually wire the lever at the bottom of the steering column in the full "up" position to the brake booster bracket, or manually turn the "collar" fully counter-clockwise in order to be able to turn the ignition to "Lock" and get the key out. With a 4-speed, the tube inside the column also operates the backup light switch, but the backup light switch on an automatic is on the floor shifter.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 02, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK, Thanks for the info but someone told me that if you remove this linkage you will be able to start the car in any gear. Is this true? I dont want to have a safety problem on my hands. What is the pros and cons of this

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech

The neutral safety switch on the shifter (if it is properly functioning) will only allow the engine to be started if the transmission is in park or neutral. JohnZ can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this linkage system in the 69 is only so that the key cannot be removed from the ignition switch unless the car is in park.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Neutral safety switch is not part of the linkage to the tranny. I don't have the linkage because of headers and my car won't start unless the clutch in pressed down.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 03:34 PM
Team Member
John

The neutral safety switch on a floor-shift automatic is on the floor shifter lever, so removal of the interlock linkage won't affect that - you just have to deal with the "get-the-key-out" issue. On a 4-speed, the starter safety switch is connected to the clutch pedal, so the interlock linkage doesn't affect that either - just the key removal, and the backup light problem.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

There is a switch in the column you must bypass. I just tied the lever on the column (that the bell crank attaches to) up with a zip tie, otherwise it won't start at all.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 02, 09:47 AM
Team Member
John

That's true, for a car that was originally a column-shift automatic; with that combination, the neutral safety/backup light switch is on the steering column, just rearward of where it goes through the firewall. If an original column automatic car is converted to a 4-speed or floor-shift automatic, the shift lever at the bottom of the column must be "wired up" to close the switch for starting and to get the key out.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode