Cutting out ac box but leaving the heat? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 02, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I have a sec. gen. and am wondering if i can cut out that huge ac box but leave the blower motor part on and leave the heater core outlets on. My idea was to cut off the box right before the heater core outlets, then take off the rest of the box, then put a plate over the ac hole on the firewall, and another plate between what is left of rest of the box and the firewall to block off the blowermoter and heater core outlets, I want to do this because i love my heat but can't stand that big old clunky ac box!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 02, 06:07 PM
David Pozzi

My wife just bought a 73 Camaro that had all the underhood AC removed. The guy removed the blower housing too, as far as I can tell.
I think the blower pulls air from the cowl plenum and needs a metal firewall housing to push the air through a hole in the firewall and into the heater core. It looks like the under dash stuff is all the same as a non AC car.
I need to see what the firewall box looks like for a non AC Camaro.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 02, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I was going to leave the blower housing,and part of the heater core housing, i was going to cut right at where the heater core outlets are. So all the heat stuff would stay intact, but the bulkiest part=the ac would be gone, the blower motor is way in the corner under the fender.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 12:25 AM
xodus921

Ok, what your saying is that if I block off both of those holes that I made. The one in the fire wall where the old ac box I ripped out was, and where there other end is...

I'll still have heat? (Please say yes)

oh yeah this was on a 79 Z-28

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear[/list]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

I don't understand what you are saying, there should be one hole wherer the ac is that is it. If you took out your heater core or the blower motor, it wont work.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 09:50 AM
xodus921

Not trying to confuse you man...All I took out was the ac box...I cut it off at the heater hose's. So everything is still intact.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

That is exactly what my question is about! I am figuring that you can use your heat just save the wiring that goes to your heater box, should be two wires into one plug, then leave your hoses connected and it should work, you might want to put a plate where the ac hole is, other wise you will get hot air from the engine bay when your switch is on ac
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 04:11 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Heat and A/C systems in Camaros (and probably 90% of all cars)draw air in throught the cowl area, through the fan out under the fender, across the duct in the engine compartment and in to the car through a hole in the firewall. A/C systems put the evaporator (the part that cools the air) out in the engine compartment because it is to big to fit under the dash. Air is always passing through the evaporator whenever the fam is blowing whether or not it is being cooled. From there it goes to the duct work under the dash. When the lever is in the A/C position the air bypasses the heater core and goes directly to the dash vents because there is a big damper just inside the hole in the firewall that closes off the heater core. When the levers are in Vent or Heat the damper closes of the air supply to the dash vent, and routes it through the heater before sending it to the vents.

If you cut off the engine side box and remove the evaporator there is no way for the air to get from the fan to the underdash ducting. Plus the blower motor resistors (controls the various fan speed) is mounted in the box right next to the evaporator. If you remove the duct or evaporator box in the engine compartment there is no way to get the air from the fan for the dash ductwork.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech

the easiest- and best- way to do it would be to find a Camaro or firebird in the junkyard with a standard, non AC heater, and take everything associated with the heater. don't forget the controls. not 100% sure, but 75-79 Nova's might be the same, except for the in dash controls.
going this route would clean up a lot of clutter- the bulky AC box, vacuum lines, a few wires. and it would look nice and "factory", unlike if you chopped the AC box up and made it work.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I was told in a different post that that wouldn't work because the hole in the firewall is bigger on ac cars
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech

My 69 is originally an air car it has all been removed and I assume replaced with the non air set up it looks as an original non air car would except you can see the outline of whwere the suitcase used to be it was done before I got it so I cant help you out on how but I can email you pic or 2 if you like. Mike
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

That is interesting, does anyone else have any info on if this is possible?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 07:22 PM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Hey 3Dude could you send me the pics?

My car was an AC car and I am looking at going with an aftermarket(Vintage air) system to help clean up the engine bay and still be able to have AC. Also doing this since most of my AC stuff is long gone.

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 04-16-2002).]
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

My AC suitcase was cut down to about 3" thick and then glassed over flat. The ignition box and coil are mounted to the flat part. The heater and fan was left intact and works fine. Sounds hokey but actually was done pretty well. The glass has a texture to it similar to the suitcase box and is painted black to match the firewall. You have to look close to tell it didn't come that way.

You can see it in the engine pics in my sig.

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/index.html
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 02, 03:25 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

If you elect to cut down the evaporator box, and yours is not broken, see if someone wants to trade. It would be a shame to cut down a good piece.
Many inside halves are broken in the process of engine swaps. The aftermarket halves do not look anything like the original. The shape is correct, but the color/texture is different.
Remember that B/B and S/B are different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode