Fuel tank and Heater core for 1969 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Hello everyone, i just bought a 69 rs that needs both fuel tank and heater core. It's been a while since i've monkeyed around with these cars. Could you pls. give me any tips regarding the replacement of the fuel tank, ie what definately not to do and to do first. I have the Chiltons manual, but the fuel tank change over is about 6 instructions long...I have a feeling it may be a little more involved. Also, any tips for replacing the heater core.
Finally, what is the best detailed publication for repairs?
thanks in advance, paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 03:57 AM
Senior Tech
John

Well, I have a book called the Camaro Restoration Handbook that has been pretty helpful. Probably not THE most detailed, but it is good and gives some helpful tips.

As far as the fuel tank goes, it isn't too hard actually, at least on my '68 it wasn't. I know that the '69 has a slightly different tank that has the filler neck completely connected rather than being in two pieces.

For my '68, I first unhooked the battery. Then, I disconnected the fuel tank sending unit ground wire (screws to the underside of trunk on the tank reinforcement strap just in front of fuel tank). You will also have to disconnect the actual sending wire from the wire harness. This is a little clip in connector that must be pulled out of the harness... it connects right in the middle back of the trunk, just behind the filler neck.

After these wires are out of the way, I took off the filler neck shield and took off the gas cap. Behind the gas cap (on the '68) are 4 screws that hold the filler neck to the tail panel. Unscrew these. The next step on the '68 is to pull out the top part of the filler neck, which is possible by loosening the rubber connector hose, accessible behind the liscense plate. Because of your one-piece filler neck, this probably isn't necessary... and I am not sure exactly how difficult this will make removing the tank.

Then, I removed the rubber sleeve from the trunk. This goes around the filler neck which was just removed.

Now, get under the car... Begin by unhooking the rubber connector hose from the tank fuel line to the front to rear fuel line. This ensures you won't bend anything. Then, start at the rear of the tank, unscrewing the long bolts that fit into the frame. After these bolts are out, the tank straps can be pulled down so that you have access to the screws that hold the front of the straps on. While supporting the tank, unscrew these. Once the screws are removed from the front part of the straps, the straps can be slid forward, removing them from the underside of the car.

Your tank is now free. Because of your filler neck though, you will probably have to pull the tank forward (towards the front of the car) while lowering, to ensure that the neck comes out from inside the trunk. That should be about it...

I did all of this with the rear suspension removed, which makes the job much easier I would imagine. No differential to get in the way.

I can't tell you about the heater core yet... but hopefully after this summer I can! That is the next job...

Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 04:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Gas tank on a 69 is very simple. Get the back of the car up on jackstands so you can work easily under there. There are two straps that holt the tank in. Near where the passenger side strap attaches in front of the tank you will see the small sending unit ground wire that you need to remove. It will then come out when you drop the tank. Also on the pass side , undo the rubber fuel line. Fold license door down and just next to the filler neck there is a metal tab holding a wire, free the wire from the tab.Then look where that wire goes up through the floor into the trunk. Open trunk and find same wire , unplug it and push it down out of the trunk. Make sure you have emptied the tank, then use a 9/16ths deep well socket to remove the two nuts at the back of the car that hold the tank straps. You can then fold the straps out of the way and pull the tank down.
As for the heater core .I assume it is a non AC car. Remove the hoses then remove all the screws and nuts holding the heater box to the firewall. There are hard to get ones that you have to find by feel at the outside edge. You need a good 1/4" socket set with extensions to get those. After that you should be able to remove the glove box and pull the heater box free under the dash to get at the heater core.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

The removal procedures between the 68 and 69 tanks are the same. The 69 tank neck does NOT bolt to anything. Empty the tank, remove the two nuts holding the tank straps, and remove carefully. When you can reach the rubber fuel hose that connects to the tank, remove it as well as the electrical sending unit connection. Drop out the tank. You can order a new tank and heater core at Autozone. It is cheaper than repro catalogs and has a better warranty. The heater core is more difficult. You need to remove the glovebox and related stuff to reach the heater box. The nuts holding the blower box, in the engine compartment need to be removed then the cables and vents from the heater box. Make a note where the cables go and don't mess up the resistor coil in the heater box. This is also a good time to clean, paint, and replace the seals in teh heater box as well as the rest of the ventalation system. Good luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech

If you don't have a heater core now, then you probably don't have the spring clip that holds it in. I have never seen one of these in any of the catalogs and I don't know if they are still available from GM. GM did use them in a lot of different vehicles, so a trip to the junk yard will usually get you one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
John

I wanted to encourage you to go to AutoZone for your heater core. I bought one last year and it was only $16.95!! They are like $48.00 in a cataloge. Good luck! ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 03:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I have also used the autozone heater core with no problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 02:51 PM
Tech Team
david

Send a message via AIM to slaquer5
Re: Fuel tank and Heater core for 1969

I have a related question. The clamp that holds the strap is rusted. How can I fix or make it as so my gas tank can be strapped in
thanks

69 rs/ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode