Seal the old or get new? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Gas Tank that is. I have my old tank that is not in a bad condition on the outside but it had fuel sitting in it for a few years. SO whats the price differnce between getting it sealed or getting a new one. Its one of those things that you dont want to take a chance with a brand new engine in the car having some small piece of metal from the tank go into it. So what do you think. Also if you think a new one. Where is the best place to get one.
Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Tim I think I would buy a new tank theres not alot of difference in price.They make a Tiawan and US (made in Canada).The US looks indentical to GM.Most places are around 140.00 I think
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

The Canadian tank is supposed to be better. I've heard of people pulling the Tiawanese tank out of the box covered in rust. However, the filler neck was a little high on my '69 tank. I've heard of others having the same problem.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Mine was a little high also.I just put a breaker bar in the fuel neck and pulled down gently and it came right into place.You can still get the 69 tank from GM I believe it was 208.00 But they come with no box and are all scratched up.The US made aftermarket looks nice no scrathes and in a box.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 03:17 AM

Same also. My tank neck was high. (Just replaced three months ago.) Wasn't brave enough to put the pry bar into the neck. Was worried about the lower weld.

Rick-O
69 RS-SS (Clone)
Amherst, NH
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 03:51 AM

I got mine from Rick's ( www.firstgen.com )about 6 months ago for about $140.00. It was packaged very well, no scratches or dents, and was made in Canada. I too used the pry bar method to get things to line up a little better. They also have filler necks and boots if you need them. Check the rubber on your tank straps and if worn get new ones or it will squeak on every bump you hit and drive you nuts, trust me.

John
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 03:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Wherever you order it from, make sure it is Galvanized like the orig. ones were. I got one awhile back that wasn't and had to send it back because it looked so bad. I assume it was a Taiwan Model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode