Need help with Power Steering setup - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I'm converting a 6 cyl to 350 in my 68 and I can't figure out the PS pump brackets. I thought I'd go with long water pump because it seems parts are easier to find. I have a cradle bracket and an adjuster bracket like the pics in Firewheel's catalog for a 69 SB. I still need the S bracket. I assume the cradle bolts onto the water pump. Does the S bracket bolt onto the 2 bolts on the right front of the pump and then have a slot for the adjuster bracket at the back of the pump? Then where does the adjuster bracket bolt onto?
Also I see a different part number for a PS pump for 6 cyl vs SB but the cradle I picked up and the junk yard came off a pump that is identical (outward appearance anyway) to the pump I had on my 6 cyl. is there a difference in pumps for 6 cyl vs SB?
One more: I see in the catalogs water pump bolts that one is a stud. Which hole would that go into and what attaches to that stud?
Once I get that thing hooked up OK is there a possiblity I can use the header mounting brackets to put the alternator on the left side like a 68 with short WP or will the pulley not line up? If that's a problem I'll have to reroute my alternator wiring to use the correct 69 brackets on the right side.
I sure would appreciate any assistance. Pics would be fabulous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 03:45 AM

hey winch,
the stud on the water pump bolts (at least for short water pump) is for the bottom hole of the alternator bracket. i'm not sure about the power steering. i just did the swap about a year ago but i went with a standard short water pump setup and bought all new brackets/pump for the application. maybe could've got away with using the same pump, but like you said they have different part #'s so i wanted to be safe.
Tybor
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I just read a parts-for-sale post for the brackets for a 69 and he mentioned the adjuster bracket attaching to the motor mount. From what I've read I thought that was only 67-68. That bracket is a crescent shaped piece about 8 inches long with bolt holes in each end and a hole about 3 inches from one end that I assume bolts onto the slot of the S bracket. Does that part bolt on the motor mount on one end and maybe the end exhaust bolt?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Winch, you have mail.

-Mark.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Mark, THANKS so much for the pics. I was right, that bracket does bolt on the end exhaust bolt and apparently you have to use a spacer with headers to make up for the thickness of a manifold. Does the other end then bolt onto the motor mount?
Now I'm excited again. I thought I had to order a different pulley because the one I got at the junk yard was a double that is cone shaped. Unfortunately it is bent but the one I had on the 6 cyl is a straight single just like in your pic and lines up with the water pump. So I think I have what I need.
I'm amazed that I can use the water pump pulley from the 6 cyl. I have to drill new holes but that's no biggy. Now to find a crank pulley I'm all set.
Oh you ementioned needing holes in the end of the heads. Not for anything for the PS right? Would that be for the alternator on the other side? I'm getting Trickflows next week. They say they are drilled for later model accesories. Hope so.

[This message has been edited by Winch (edited 04-18-2002).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Now it's strting to make sense. I found I do have the S bracket so I put it on and the adjuster bracket lines up nicely. I can see where it will mount to the manifold. But it looks like it should mount to the bottom motor mount bolt but it is about 2 inches short of reaching that. Is that the problem with aftermarket mounts? Did the originals have a connection for that bracket? Seems I just read something about that. I got to find that thread.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

That lower "dog leg" bracket bolts to the front most upper motor mount bolt as you suspect and one more place. I do not know why you would be having difficulty with it. I have a crank pulley you need so send me an email offline. The holes in the heads are for the alternator on the passenger side. The CRG has a dowloadable acrobat file with all the pulley part numbers for 67-69 Camaros. You might take a look there if you need more info.

-Mark.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Oh, the TOP front mount hole. I guess with the motor in a cradle I can't position it there yet very well. It looks more like it wants to line up better with the lower mount hole. Does it then go on top of the mount tab? I guess that's why David says to get Energy Suspension mounts that don't have the side tabs that would get in the way. I'll get a set from Summit. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode