Lossing oil pressure, change to straight 30 wgt??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a mid 80's V6. When it is cold I have good oil pressure. After about 10 miles it starts to drop and ends a the bottom of the normal range (have analog oil pres. guage). I am using 10W30. If I changed to straight 30 wgt do you think this would help with the pressure loss? What do you all think?

------------------
Thou shall not convet they neighbor,s Camaro

69 SS350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 03:40 AM
Senior Tech
frank

Usually if you stick with an oil that has a good viscosity index you will be better off. In other words an oil that changes little in its properties from cold to hot. The synthetics are much better in this respect than conventional oils. If this doesn't help you may have to look at mechanical problems
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 04:04 AM
Retired
Jim

At operating temp, a 10w-30 will have the same viscosity characteristics as a straight 30w. Its only at cold temps that the 10w-30 will "act" like a 10w until brought up to operating temp. As frank said, a good synthetic like Amsoil or Mobile will give more thermal stability at the high end temps and better cold weather starting too. But if you are on the verge of some mechanical problems Id recommend having your current oil analyzed to see if there are 'wear' problems which might contribute to pressure drops.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 04:58 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Has this just started? Or has it always been this way? If it just started you have something going on more than normal wear and you need to look past the brand, wt or type of oil you run!! If it's always been this way then try 10-40 or 20-50 but don't jump on an expensive synthetic unless you find a viscosity change helps.

Some things to watch for, pressure should go up with rpm. At steady rpm pressure should not drop. And it's normal for pressure to be higher when cold. The key is consistancy. If it's doing exactly the same thing it did 20k miles ago it most likely ok...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech

Blk69, I had an '85, 2.8l V6 that got that way all of a sudden. It would have pressure when cold but when warm it would idle at 0 and run at 20 or less. Turned out to be the sending unit.....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 07:09 PM
Tech Team

This topic sparked a question. Is it normal for a 327 (or any similar SB) to drop in oil pressure at idle (around 10-15) and on the same note increase oil pressure at higher RPMs? I guess my question is, what is a normal oil pressure measure at idle for a 327 SB? Anyone's response is appreciated!

------------------
67 Coupe 327
Edelbrock performer package, TH350, Hotchkis suspension & sway bar, Dynomax headers and exhaust, Cowl hood
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 02, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The engin was rebuilt (professionally) about 2 years ago. It has been doing this for about 6 months. The pressure goes to the bottom of the guage so I have some conserns. I took the valve covers off and oil is still coming up the push rods and I have not increase in engin temperature.

I thought 10W30 acted as a 10 wgt at hi temps. I tried a engin restore project and it did not do anything for my problem.

I think I have a oil pressure guage and I should install it to see if the sending unit is going bad.

Thanks for all your help. I will keep you informed if my engin seases!!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 02, 05:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Wise to verify the existing gauge and sender. The properties of 10w30 are as click describes them... Most engines with stock oiling system will run about 15-25psi warm idle and should climb about 10 psi per 1000rpm. This is a general rule of thumb, not definitive.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode