Starters????? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 02, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Fried the starter in my 68 this week, figure it happened because I always had to crank for two minutes to start the car after it sits.
I intend to pull the carb off this weekend, and silicone the lead plugs, But anyways back to the starter question,
The stater I use is an offset bolt type, This starter looks like every GM starter I have ever taken off a small block, I went to parts store and asked for a starter for 68 SS 350 engine (Original block in my car) 4 speed trans, (retrofitted) the starter looks completly different than the one I took off and am familar with.
The nose piece has the offset bolt pattern, however the bolts are shorter about 3 inches long instead ofthe standard 4 inches.
The nose is cast iron and not the standard aluminum
On a 68 small block with 4 speed trans, is the starter hole on the flywheel cover round?
If any one has a picture of a true 68 starter could you please post.
Thanks.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 02, 07:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Sounds like they showed you an older truck style starter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

i'm getting old and forgetful, and I put my starter on a couple of years ago. But it seems like my nose piece was cast iron (427/425.) I seem to remember that cast iron was used on hi po engines-maybe hi po big block. I bought a rebuilt GM from local parts house, and it seems like I had to try a couple places before I came up with cast iron nose.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 02:43 AM
Senior Tech

Ohhhh Canada...hehehe, I just couldn't resist.

Anyway, please order a mini starter and dump that piece of WWI technology. Mini's are easier on the wiring system and battery, have more cranking power, weigh less, one size fits all, smaller, easier to hang, and sound cool as all get out.

Tuffstuff and Powermaster makes good ones.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Rob,
I have several of those starters. One with cast iron nose cone and one with the aluminum nose cone. I will send you pix of them. They work fine but I switched back to the smaller 12-3/4" flywheel/10.4" clutch from the bigger SS 350 style 14" flywheel/11" clutch setup so I kept them and ate the core charge as they were still in operating condition.

If you just need a nose cone, let me know offline,

-Mark.

P.S.- I now see you did not post an email address in you profile. I have some pix but you can email me for them.

[This message has been edited by stingr69 (edited 04-20-2002).]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 06:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

You should really consider the new small style starter. Both GM and aftermarket, they work great and take up a lot less space in a spot that is already tight. Good luck.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
steve, are CSI mini's any good?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 02, 02:49 PM
Bill

Rob,
I have never had a problem with an AC Delco reman starter. I had one on my Super Pro car for 10 years...it was a 13 1/2 to one small block. Never missed a lick. The oem one on my 73 Z-28 is always put to the test. I drive the car about once a month and the ol' Q-jet is always bone dry. It cranks for 30-40 seconds with no problems. Just stay away from the parts store junk...you get what you pay for. ADelco one will be about $100 US.
As far as the mini starters go, I will not let my Mouse motor sound like a Mopar

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 02, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the replies guys,
Hot Rod If "y'all" going make fun about us Canadians, Least "y'all get the spelling right! EH!
Couldn't resist that one.
I ended up buying a rebuilt AC Delco unit, aluminium nose piece, comes with a 5 year warrenty, Figure it should be good for a least one free replacement,
Vintage 68 you hit the nail right on, woke something up in the old C drive, I remember my 68 Longhorn truck had a wierd starter, had trouble getting the right one for it back in the late 70's,
Stingr Thanks for the offer, but as I said earlier I have already purchased a starter and its on the car now, I was just trying to figure out what they where showing me at the parts store.
Can you believe it, last week it was up to 80 degrees for about three days, and today its snowing again!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Rob.Canada (edited 04-22-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode