Ride height - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

I have a 1968 SS 4-speed convertible in the last stages of restoration. The car was lower by three inches on the right rear and an inch high on the left front. I had all the springs and shocks replaced. I still have the same ride height problem. I was told that this may be caused by the frame being twisted by years of hard acceleration and "banging" through the gears. Is this possible? Any other possibilities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 12:42 PM
Team Member
John

When the springs were replaced (front and rear), were the bushing bolts tightened with the car on wheels with the engine in it, or were they tightened with the car on a lift or with the wheels off the ground? Are the front springs properly oriented in the seats?

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

The car was on a lift with no weight on the wheels when the bushing bolts were tightened. The front springs are seated correctly. The amount of drop in the right rear is almost exactly the same as it was before new springs were installed.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
most likely if the bushings are stock, they are just binding cuasing the uneven height.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 02, 01:28 AM

The car has to be sitting on the tires and have all the weight in it before tightening things up. The amount that the rear end is off COULD have caused the front end to be off as well. Sorry to say it but you will have to loosen everything back up and sit the car on all fours and re-tighten.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 02, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

I checked again with the person who installed the springs. The bushing bolts were tightened with the weight on the wheels. He feels the frame has twisted over the years and needs to be straightened. Is this likely? Has anyone heard of this being a problem with high performance convertibles?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 02, 10:43 PM

If you can find a good body or frame shop that uses good frame equipment, they can put the guages on the car and tell you if the frame is off. I would expect to pay $50 - $100 for this service but it might vary depending on your location.
When I say good frame equipment, I'm speaking of a Chief EZ Liner or simular, drive on type rack.

[This message has been edited by Toby Keen (edited 04-22-2002).]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 02, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Do the doors line up straight from top to bottom where they shut? I've always heard this to be a problem with some convertibles over the years especially ones missing the "X" frame support bracket. You would think if the frame was off some that the doors would be off some also.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 02, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments. The car is going to the frame shop this week to be checked. I'll post the results.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 02, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

The frame is now aligned within 1/16th of an inch. The car still sags about 2" at the right rear. The springs were loosened and re-tightened. All parts are moving without difficulty. We are now switching the left and right rear springs on the off chance, one set is defective. The x-brace is in place and the doors line up. The only other problem is that I am having difficulty aligning the top. I'm running out of ideas. Anything I can try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode