stubborn subframe connector bolt by firewall - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 02, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

I looked under my 68 beater & noticed the subframe connector bolt near the driver firewall was loose - just dangling & the bushings have fell/rotted off. I tried wd40 several time & a ratchet with a pipe extension on it for leverage, but I could not loosen the bolt.
I even broke the ratchet! Do you guys think an impact wrench will get that sucker loose?
How about that part that the huge bolt screws INTO - is it reproduced today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 02, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech
John

those cage nuts can be tough. I recently replaced my subframe bushings with solid ones from Competition Engineering and had a little trouble getting them loose myself. I soaked them in penetrating oil repeatedly, and finally had to hit them with the impact gun. Did the job!

I don't know if the cage nuts are repro'd. Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 02, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech

I had the same trouble with my nova when I put poly body mount bushings on it. I had one of the rear one's caged nut break loose...not fun. A 15 minute job turned into a 3 hour PITA. The ones on my nova by the firewall can be gotten to from the top side by removing the fender...maybe the camaro is that way too? I ended up replacing my bolt with a cad plated grade 8 bolt, nut, and lockwasher.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 02, 10:40 AM
Tech Team

You can access the cage bolt through the lower corners of the firewall. You will see a hole on each lower corner. I broke one of the bolts and had to remove the cage nut itself. I broke the old bolt with a breaker bar and a pipe. I also used an impact socket. I was pulling the frame so I had to get it out. After it finally broke, upon further inspection, it looked to be welded together (rusted), so all the WD40/Liquid Wrench in the world was not going to losen it. I just drilled and tapped the nut. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode