repairs? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 02, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

For a 2002 Camaro 2-dr hatchback (which I won't own until the weekend) with a V6, 5-speed, what sort of maintenance items should I keep an eye on to avoid big ol' surprising repairs down the road? (My current car - '92 Plymouth Sundance - had wheel bearing, paint, and air conditioning surprises pretty early on in its life.) Does anyone recommend the extended warranty? I plan to keep this baby for life...

Thanks for any advice you can offer! Sandy!

------------------
If you're not living on
the edge, you're taking
up too much space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 02, 11:05 PM

Welcome to Team Camaro, Sandy.
Make sure you get the owner's manual with the car and follow the maintenance instructions. In my opinion, changing the fluids in the car as Chevy recommends will go a long way in preventing some large repair surprises down the road.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 11:59 AM

Two good repairs i would do if i could afford a new Camaro. An LS1 and a T56 six speed trans!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I would look into the extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car for a very long time...you DO NOT have to purchase the warranty from the dealer! In fact they will most likely approach you with an outrageous premium for it (between 800 and 1200 dollars). Do some research/ home work on extended warranties and print out the cost- maybe even get quotes from companies. If you want the warranty through GM show them the prices you have researched and tell them that you will NOT pay more than an average price from comparable extended warranties available through their competitors.

If they balk, get in your new car and leave w/ out the warranty, then buy one from a reputable competitor!

Good luck!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 02, 08:32 AM

I disagree with choptops sugestion while you may be able to get an extended warranty cheaper from another company you also get what you pay for I have been a tech for 15 years and have worked for many independents and major chains as well as GM dealerships and when it comes to extended warranties GMPP is the best with the least amount of hassle with other companies we had to call for authorization and if the company decided not to cover the repiar the customer was stuck with the bill. with GMPP it works identical to the factory warranty all you pay is the deductable usually $100.00 0r $50.00 depending on the plan they will also work with you on the price of the warranty when you purchase the car even aftermarket warranties will have a deductable usually much higher than GM's agian the amount of the deductable will depend on the price you pay for the extended coverage (the less you pay the higher the deductable)in the past I have seen both types of warranties and the people with GMPP get thier cars fixed faster and with less hassle than people with aftermarket warranties. Oh by the way I am retired and do not work for any dealership. (didn't want anyone to think my opinion was biased) I would also recommend an extended warranty I always buy them and have never used them but I have seen countless people who didn't have them and were stuck with major repairs at 40,000 miles such as transmission and engine so although you may never use it it could save you some serious cash.

[This message has been edited by d53221 (edited 04-25-2002).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 02, 09:48 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
My outlook.... On new cars the factory warranty is fine and the dealer will start offering you an extended again before the factory runs out. On used it's a judgment call, how much does it cost vrs the outlay for the car and lots of variables.

As for what to look for down the road with a certain type of car. check out www.edmunds.com as they have good info as well as pricing guides...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode