Anyone used American Thunder system with 50 series mufflers? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I've listened to the sound tracks at Flowmaster's web site and I like the quieter sound of the 3 chamber 50 series Delta Flows. The American Thunder system as sold by S or J come with the 40 series. Has anybody used that combo? Do they even fit (the 50s are longer than the 40s) with the supplied tail pipes?
It's funny that Flowmaster's charts show they recommend the 50 series with the American Thunder system.
And even if what I want works well together, I was told I'd have to order the full AT system and the 50 series mufflers and return the 40s for refund! But it's still over a $100 cheaper than the one quote I got from a muffler shop to install 50 series muffs (with me supplying the muffs!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech

hey, i definetely go with the 50 series, they are loud when you want them to be and not when you don't want the 40 series sound great but get loud after awhile, but goodluck
jake

------------------
1968 Camaro convertible, 454,th400,3500 stall,8.5 10 bolt,3.90 gears
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 04:17 PM

I actually have the American Thunder System on my 383 RS. I lived with the 40 series mufflers for about a month before the loudness finally got to me. I was literally embarassed to drive the thing on the street. I spent the money for the 50 series and what a relief. Like BBCamaro said, only loud when you want them to be, in other words, when you hammer it. By the way, I called Flowmaster about the swap, and they were recommended an excellent shop in the area to do the work. Good luck.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech

I had the 50 Series Delta Flows as part of a dual exhaust system istalled by a muffler shop. (Speedway Muffler) They used aluminized 2.5" pipe and did a quality job. Cost was about $375. I am very happy with the sound.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 02, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

So it sounds like the 50 series at least fits. If I could find a shop to do it for 375 total I'd go for that. I found a shop last night that will fab it up but his estimate was 475 with him suplying the Delta Flow 40s. He showed me pics of a complete custom job he did on a 69 Boss Mustang. Fabricated X-pipe and flex adapters coming off the headers. Looked like what I'd ultimately like to have but he said that would run about 650. ouch.
I just wonder if I get the standard American Thunder system from Summit and exchange the 40 series for the 50 series will I be able to put it together myself. Since the muffler is longer I'm concerned the tail pipes won't fit and then I've heard the front pipes need some bending to line up with the headers.
Decision decisions
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 02, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech

Ok, first off, I hve the American Thunder system with the supplied 40 series mufflers on my 67 small block. I find the sound to be perfect...it isn't too loud, and it isn't too quiet. I love it, and it is my only car...I drive it every day, and I don't get tired of the sound. But, sound is a very subjective and opinion-driven thing.

To help with your question...I installed the system myself in my driveway using a floor jack and drive-on ramps. I think you'd have trouble fitting a longer muffler into the exhaust system. Everything is bent to fit the 40 series mufflers. You'd have to modify the H-pipe to bring the front of the mufflers forward more, but you might then encounter floorboard clearance issues. There is no way that the back of the muffler can go anymore towards the rear of the car...the tailpipes are tight on the front side of the axle as they are...my driver's side one actually slightly rubs the front of the axle at full suspension compression. Also, to attach the system to headers, you do not need to bend pipes...the system is designed so that you cut the supplied pipes to the length needed length and width-wise. I used a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade, and it was very easy. It's hard to describe how the system is designed, but it's easy to do...it took me 20 minutes to hook the exhaust up to the headers. I just don't know about using the bigger mufflers with the system...

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]
The Club - GM Muscle Cars of the Carolinas

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 02, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I can't speak for the 50 series, but the 40's are fine IMO. When I first put the exhaust on and fired the car my reaction was, "my God what have I done?" But I quickly got used to the sound and my neighbors all swear that it doesn't bother them - not a muffler for the faint of heart. It's a muscle car right? They're supposed to be a little noisy.

The system was very easy to put on - took me about 2 hours total. Like Justin said, you cut the front pipes to length; they are well designed and require no bending.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 02, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech

I went with the 2.5" Flowmaster system with the single cross-flow muffler. The fit was OK out of the box, but I had the system custom-fit to the car so it would tuck up closer to the chassis. The supplied brackets did not fit the factory mounting points and would have required new holes. I had new brackets fabricated to mount the system using the factory mounting points. It was a pretty involved process to get it perfect. The tailpipes required some cutting on the ends for a nice look. This system is loud at idle and positively screams at WOT, but I love it. Might be a bit too loud for a daily driver.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 02, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech

i have the American thunder on my '67
with hooker headers,on my 427..
edelbrock performer intake/cam setup
bought the system from jegs,it has the 40 series mufflers. I think it sounds great,i have a rug,with the factory pads on the floor
and think the sound is mellow;
if your car has no rug; all exhaust will sound louder.}
years ago i owned a '72 340 'Cuda,with headers,and round
bullet type mufflers,with No tailpipes,That was LOUD!!

in the directions,it tells to install the tailpipes first,Follow the directions,they also forgot,in my directions,to specify
that the funny looking washers are to help hold the rubber hangers on to the brackets, I went to Napa Auto parts and bought some "Band" clamps,stainless steel,
and used them instead of the supplied clamps
{they are used like on school buses,and form real well to your exhaust...}

------------------
'67 RS/SS 427,4 Speed
Disc brakes,console, fold down rear seat,heater,
Radio Delete, Cowl hood,front,rear spoilers,
Black/black white bumblebee stripe
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 02, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I'm probably going to order the standard AT system with the Delta Flow 40s. I wonder if any of y'all that have replied have the standard 40 series as opposed to the Delta Flow 40. There was a real difference in those. I definately don't want the standard 40s but the AT kit now comes with Delta Flows anyway.
It's good to hear some of you haven't had to bend the front pipes to line up with the headers.
Now I only have the one factory hanger on the left side being mine was a 6 cyl. I guess I'll need a new one of those. Did you have to do that Eric? I think yours was a 6 originally.
Thanks everyone.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 02, 02:37 AM
Senior Tech
VINTAGE CERT

I mentioned the loudness of the american thunder delta 40 series on my Z a couple of time in different threads. I have the same problem as some of the earlier posts on this thread. After a while the noise resonance become annoying. IMO the sound should exit out the pipes instead a great deal of resonance is transmitted into the car. Yes it has a awesome sound especially at idle, but it could be improved. There are a couple of variables such as compression ratio, headers and cam that may contribute to the noise level in my car. If anyone converts their car to 50 series let me know, how if any it improve the noise/resonance. Again this is my oppinion and am looking for a solution.

[This message has been edited by shaugs (edited 04-26-2002).]
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 02, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech

I have no interior resonance inside my car with this system. No one that installs this system should have to bend the pipes to get them to line up with the headers...they are adjustable by cutting two ends of a pre-bent pipe to make the system wider/narrower and shorter/longer. My car was originally a six cylinder as well. You don't use your factory hangers...they supply new hangers specific for this exhaust that bolt to the stock locations. You must replace your factory hangers with the ones they provide. Since my car only had a single exhaust originally, I just drilled holes where the other hagners of the dual exhaust system would have been and used the supplied sheetmetal screws to attach the hangers. No big deal whatsoever.

I suggest you clamp the system together with the 40 series and give it a shot. If it sounds like my car does, you'll probably like it. If not, then you can replace the mufflers later.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 02, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Ken,

Even though mine was a six, it still had the holes for dual exhaust hangers if I remember. If I had to drill any holes it had to have been easy - because I don't remember doing it (I always remember the PITA stuff LOL).

ps. Mine has the Delta flow 40's in it not the orininal 40's. I used to have a 5.0 Mustang [gasp . . . cough, choke] with the old 50 series and I hated the sound. It had this god-aweful reonance at about 2500 RPM. Whatever you decide on pls get the Deltaflow.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech

Eric,

The American Thunder system only comes from Flowmaster with the delta flows.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

</A>
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 02, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

There's no question that I will get the DeltaFlows instead of the standard. My question is whether I can make the 50 series Deltas work with the American Thunder system. The sound clip they have at Flowmaster of them all make the 50 series Deltas sound best.
I talked to Flowmaster and they said yeah you can put 50 on it by cutting 4 inches off the front of the tail pipe. I'll just have to see that pipe to determine whether there really is 4 inches of straight pipe at the front that can be removed. If so I would think a shop could cut it off and flange it. Then everything would line up.
I need to ask Jeg's if they will do what Summit said they would and let me return for credit just the mufflers from the system. I would get them at Summit but their online says they are back ordered until May 19.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode