rodents - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Not really a car question but its for my workshop that holds the car.
I'm reinsulating the shop and want to know if anybody has found a way to rodent proof their shop. The mice and moles are having a great time eating and breeding in the old insulation.It has a concrete floor and 2x4 walls with board and batten outside.They get in where the floor and wall meet mostly but I've found nests as high up as 8ft.The only thing I can think of is to put concrete blocks all the way around but that would be a lot of work and expense. Any thoughts?

------------------
68 Camaro Coupe(restoring)
65 Pontiac Parisienne Convertible Summer Cruiser(Canadian version of Bonneville)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 12:23 PM
Retired
Jim

There must be small cracks or holes allowing them into the walls from outside, so try that expanding foam in a can to plug the holes. Use it along the whole outside edges of your siding where it meets the block. There are 2 kinds, regular and mild expanding type. The regular can really push out against the walls while expanding, use the MILD type, wear throw away gloves, and you can cut off any excess that shows after its done curing.
Then get a cat for inside declawed of course so it doesnt scratch you car up.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Hi Click
I thought about the foam but figured they would just chew thru it.The cat's a good idea but it's IN the walls thats messing up my insulation.I just got rid of the squirrel smell from inside the Camaro.With my luck the cat would leave its mark there too. Any other thoughts?

------------------
65 Pontiac Parisienne Convertible Summer Cruiser(Canadian version of Bonneville)

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech

I use decon rat/mouse poison now with good success. Nasty things were nesting under the back seat of my "rat" infested Camaro!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech

Feed all of the local cats it works better than anything. I haven't had any problems in years.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

The only thing mice can't chew through is metal and concrete. Use steel wool or sheet metal to fill all holes and cracks. Use some metal flashing at the seam where the wall meets the floor. Then set a bunch of traps and kill any little *(*&^**( that make it through your fortress!

My garage is well sealed and I still set traps constanly just to make sure I don't have any unwanted passengers in my car.

------------------
Mark
'67 Z-28 Network: www3.sympatico.ca/67z28owner/index.html
2002 Quicksilver Corvette Z06

Looking for '67 Z-28
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 05:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Did you guy's know a good size rat can squeeze thru a 1/4" wide crack. Field mice too. (Mom owns a pest control bussiness.) I use poisen & sticky traps. I'll never get the shop sealed good enough. I had a rat problem, took the interior completely out of race car. They're gone now. I've got the poisen laying around and I've seen nothing for awhile now.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 06:16 PM
xodus921

I made a pet out of my little friend...I use to try and feed him. The only thing in my garage was tools though. He use to come out and sit under the car with me while I was working on it. Friendly little guy...I don't think he made it through the winter though.

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, Holley 650, Trick flow twisted wedge heads, dynomax headers - TH350[/list]
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 02, 03:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Living on a horse farm, I see my share of critters. The only real solution is traps/poison, I'm afraid. With dogs/etc. we got pait traps from an exterminator since we didn't want poison around where the pets could get at it.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 02, 04:12 AM
Tech Team

those sticky things that are flat work great! they walk on them and cant get off. They just starve to death. Lay them around the garage. Theyll fill up quick then just throw them out.I actually had mice in my firewall that built nests and man was that a trip to clean out! jim

------------------

http://community.webtv.net/james778/our1969camaro
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 02, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks people. No cure but greats stories and laughs.I wouldn't mind the little rascals if it wasn't for the damage to my insulation. Heating a workshop is not cheap! Stevo Camaro-I was thinking of wire mesh which measures 1/4"x1/4" ask your Mom if that would work.I also thought of aluminum flashing at top and bottom with the wire mesh in between.
Tony-you are spending way to much time alone in your shop.Sorry about your loss .RickD- I live on a horse farm also.Got lots of barn cats but no shop cats but its inside the walls anyways.Keep those suggestions coming.

------------------
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 02, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I like to use the little square green colored rat bait poison. You can tell when they have been eating it and then when they're gone no more nibble marks on the bait.

Tony, your friendís name wasn't Ben was it?

------------------
Robert Johnson

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
350ci 700r4 3.55 posi
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 02, 01:35 PM

I have a concrete block garage ruffly 20'X 20', with rafters at 8' of the floor, and no insulation.
Those little suckers were in the rafters!
How ??? were up in some parts boxes I had there.
I used those sticky traps, worked GREAT, especially when you put a small piece of food on them!
I still have a couple up there still. I check from time to time. Haven't seen any since!
Roger
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 02, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Rojo, your dating yourself. The movie Ben, I haven't seen that in awhile.

Thewebb1, You almost have to be air tight to keep them out. I'll tell ya how they got in the 67. The window felt was missing on both rear quarter windows & the door panels were gone. That's all they needed to get in.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 02, 09:22 PM
xodus921

I'll have to check that movie out...No I never named him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode