Flowmaster 80 series on 69 convert - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 02, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Anyone used this crossflow type muffler? I was thinking of putting it on my 69 and having a local muffler shop makeup the rest of the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 02, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech
John

One of the guys in my club, X77D80 (who posts here), has this on his Z and it sounds great! I think they also make a whole prefabbed kit around this muffler. If that's the case, I recommend using their kit. It will be a whole lot cheaper than fabbing up a kit to go with that muffler. Good luck! ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 01:23 AM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Great muffler! I had the same type installed on my '69 Z28 awhile back, and I think it sounds very good. Driving down the road it doesn't run you out of the car and you can actually hear the radio, but when I stop at a red light I turn the radio down to hear the cam. The true sound comes out best while idling and going through the gears.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech

I had heard the Series 40 was the way to go? How does the 80 sound compared to the 40?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

I talked to flowmaster and they said that the 40 and 80 are very similar, but the 80 has a slightly different sound.

I think that I'm going to use it. Flowmaster says that they don't make a kit for a convertible camaro with this muffler, so I'll take it down to the local shop and they can bend up the pipes.

[This message has been edited by paulm (edited 05-01-2002).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I've got the 80 series also. I used to have the 40 series on my last Camaro, so I can compare them directly.

I did like the sound of the 40 series, but was a bit loud for my ears for everyday use. Had a resonance in the cab at some RPMs, also. Nice stainless tips, easy to install.

I like the sound of the 80 series better. More of the 'tin' sound that I like. Little resonance in the cab. More efficient design due to the muffler placed farther back. Drawbacks: no exhaust tips, more difficult to install. However, it's more sturdy (both pipes are held in place by the muffler and h-pipe) so it wont move around any. The 'no exhaust tip' drawback may be good for some, so they may choose their own.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode