Air compressor choice - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I'm building my own air compressor and wanted some opinions on which way to go. I either get a 3cylinder single stage that produces 18.5 cfm @ 100 psi or a 2 cylinder 2-stage that produces 16.9 cfm @ 175 psi. the first one is on sale for $300.00 while the second one is not on sale for $829.00.Do you think its worth $529.00 for the added pressure.What tools work at over 100 psi.? What do you guys think?

------------------
68 Camaro Coupe(restoring)
65 Pontiac Parisienne Convertible Summer Cruiser(Canadian version of Bonneville)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Neal

Get a two stage. It is well worth the extra money!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 10:57 PM

You might want to check on the horsepower requirements for each pump and then the electrical phase required for the motor. If a 3 phase motor is required (usually over 7.5 HP) you won't be able to use it in some areas, including any residential areas.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech
frank

Get the two stage, way less heat buildup when it produces air and it should last longer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 06:56 AM

Air tools need a steady supply @ probably
at least 80 psi.You'll burn up the starter
motor on the single stage trying to maintain
line pressure,it will always be running!

------------------
'86 Firebird,ladder bar
suspension,9 inch ford w/4.56,10 point,440 bbc,
400 manual valve/brake.

'86 3/4 ton 4 wd 454/400 turbo
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I've already purchased a 5hp single phase motor, thats why I'm going with one of these two choices because they both will run with a 5 hp.The two stage sounds good but $500.00 would buy a few Camaro parts and how aften am I going to need 175psi.I thought cfm would be more useful.Am I on the right track?

------------------
65 Pontiac Parisienne Convertible Summer Cruiser(Canadian version of Bonneville)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

The 2 stage shuld be MUCH quieter to run.

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/index.html
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 08:13 AM
Tech Team

I just purchased and installed a Belair 7.5 HP 80 Gallon tank compressor. I used to have a smaller unit and was not sure I really needed this big and powerfull of a unit. It is rated at 175 PSI 23CFM I beleive, and now that I have it I dont know how I lived without it. I fact I just called my friend that sold it to me and thanked him for talking me into going with this unit. I run several air tools including a sand blasting cabinet, shear, impacts, nibbler, sand blasting tank, and HVLP spray equipment. I never realized how my tools were ment to work. You have got to have not only enough pressure but also enough volume of air. This weekend I will be running 3/4" galvanized air lines throughout my shop and can't wait. Good luck.
Steve
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 08:14 AM
Tech Team

I just purchased and installed a Belair 7.5 HP 80 Gallon tank compressor. I used to have a smaller unit and was not sure I really needed this big and powerfull of a unit. It is rated at 175 PSI 23CFM I beleive, and now that I have it I dont know how I lived without it. In fact I just called my friend that sold it to me and thanked him for talking me into going with this unit. I run several air tools including a sand blasting cabinet, shear, impacts, nibbler, sand blasting tank, and HVLP spray equipment. I never realized how my tools were ment to work. You have got to have not only enough pressure but also enough volume of air. This weekend I will be running 3/4" galvanized air lines throughout my shop and can't wait. Good luck.
Steve
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
John

$829.00 seems like a lot for just a pump. The 5HP 2 stage complete compressor that I have was only a few dollars more than that.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Now you know why us Canadians can't afford to go south anymore. The cheapest 2-stage 5hp with a 80 gal. tank is $1599.00 plus tax CDN.If I went Stateside it would be cheaper but then with the exchange @ 1.6 I would be back where I started.I was given a old Champion 120 gal 2-stage compressor and it looks like if I get the pump rebuild and put my 5hp that I bought on sale for $350.00 on it I might be just under a $1000.00.Has anyone rebuild a compressor pump?I've done the odd lawnmower but thats about it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by thewebb1 (edited 05-02-2002).]
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 02, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
frank

Two stage compressors compress air to a fixed pressure in the large, low-pressure cylinder. The air is then discharged to a smaller high-pressure cylinder where it is compressed to the rated pressure, hence the higher pressure capability. Heat is generated during compression. A rise in temperature means both an increase in the energy necessary to compress a given amount of air and a decrease in volume when the hot air is cooled in the receiver. So, your 18cfm single stage may in all likelyhood be giving you LESS usable volume than your 16cfm two stage. Frank
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 02, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Okay I'm convinced the two stage is the way to go.If I rebuild the one I have it should save some cash.I'm also going to take the 5 hp back and get a 7.5hp.The manufacture said I should get about 30cfm out of it and that should do just find. Thanks for everyone's help.Hope I can return the favor one day.

------------------
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 02, 05:11 AM
David Pozzi

I did a lot of research on compressors and talked to a local repair guy, he pointed me to Champion brand and they are very durable.

The valves can be accessed from outside and are spring loaded disc valves, rather than reed valves attached to the underside of the head.
The Champion compressor has no removeable head, the valves are under screw in caps on the top.

Quote from my repair guy:
"When a reed valve compressor is run too long, (like contiuous use, with a big sand blasting job) the reed valves can overheat and fail where they hinge then break off, fall into the cylinder. The cyl head gasket also get's cooked into the head and getting it off is sometimes very difficult."

A smaller motor can sometimes run a larger pump, you have to gear it down though, and will get less air flow.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode