Is removing headers a pain? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 02, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

I am kind of a newbie to all this. Anyway I need to remove my headers to change my spark plugs and I was just wondering if its a big job to take the headers out. Or would I be better off taking it to someone or trying to find the work around tools to get them out without having to unbolt the headers.

Thanks in advance,
Lance 67SS350 (clone) http://www.geocities.com/arkansasclassicfbody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 02, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Are you working on a small or big block? What year?

I don't have to remove my headers to change out the plugs. It's a bit tricky, but be creative with the tools you have. The toughest ones on my '69 require spark plug socket with a 6-sided end (like a nut), and I use my box end wrench to turn it (I believe for cylinder 6). Take your time.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 02, 12:31 PM

It can be a bit of a pain, and be prepared to learn a few new 4 letter words too, heh. Try getting your tools on all the bolts first just to see how easy they are accessed, and make your judgement from there. I had hex bolts on my last set of headers, and it was easy to get that 90 degree hex key in there.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 02, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
They should all be FAIRLY easy to get to. The only one I have real trouble with is the #5 plug. Getting a socket on it is real difficult. I can get all of them from the top.

A WHOLE LOT easier than a plug swap on a 4th Gen. Been there, done that. Not fun.

-Funk

67RS 327/275/TH350
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 02, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech

You should not have to pull the headers but you might have to get a little creative on a plug or 2. Try a shortie or regular open end wrench to break them loose, then use a short (6 - 12") section of rubber gas hose. Push it on the plug and you can fairly easily screw them out (and back in).

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 02, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Hey Funck, I change my number 5 plug with a box end wrench from underneath the car.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air
700R4 TPI transmission
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 03:36 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJS69:
Hey Funck, I change my number 5 plug with a box end wrench from underneath the car.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give that a try next time, thanks for the the tip.

-Funk

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
I take a hammer and a wrench (or long screwdriver) to each one of my plugs before I take them out. This way, the whole top part of the plug breaks off, and I can take out the plug with either a wrench, short socket, or almost anything.

Just give each one a little wack, and you'll be surprised how easily they break off.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 11:49 AM

Interesting... You still gotta get the new ones back in though, and my educated guess is that you don't really want to bust the new plugs off, right?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

To remove your headers on a small block a little trick I used back in 69 was to unbolt the bolt that goes through the motor mount and slightly jack the motor up on the drivers side. This created lots of room. Before the days of really good high temp paints I used to paint them about once a month. As far as plugs go there was always one that took an open end 13/16 wrench from below. I used Heddman headers.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like with all the tips here I wont have to pull the headers after all. To the guy that asked my 67 has a 350 small block. If there are any Central Arkasas Classic F-Body owners here I need to hear from you. Trying to put a new club together. I'll start a new thread. Thanks again, Lance (67ss350)
http://www.geocities.com/arkansasclassicfbody
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 02, 02:48 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BreathWeapon:
Interesting... You still gotta get the new ones back in though, and my educated guess is that you don't really want to bust the new plugs off, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I wouldn't reccommend breaking off the new ones, but it makes plug removal simple, and allows me to save the 4-letter words for installation only.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 02, 06:52 PM
Tech Team

Well if you have to remove the headers this may help. I bought a set of Hooker Super Comp headers for my 68. Being a little big headed and thinking the job should be pretty simple I just went straight to work on installing them. yea I know..wondering what this has to do with taking them off...
Anyway, I installed one header from the top and had no problems, but when I tried the other it would not go in from the top.
So I started trying to get it in from the bottom. This seemed like it would work so I kept lifting the car up a couple of inches and trying again. After I got it about 2 and half feet in the air it slid right in. After the job was complete I picked up the instructions and the very first sentence in bold type was " before installation raise car at least 2 foot of the ground." Boy the time I could have saved. But anyway if you do have to take them off this might be something to think about.

Dustynn
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 02, 09:18 PM

Well, you know, any good mechanic doesn't need intructions... And besides, we're men!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode