Temp Gauge..Mounted on water pump?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 02, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was at a car show last yr and saw several cars with a temp gauge mounted directly on the water pump.....Anyone ever see this setup..And know where I can get one..Thanks again

------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
-------------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 02, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Mounting the temp gauge on the water pump is useless because that is just measuring the temp of the water coming out of the radiator and not the engine. The temp gauge needs to read the temp of the water after it has traveled through the engine. It might work on some late model engines with reverse coolant flow, but not on your old small or big block.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 02, 06:18 PM
Tech Team

I agree with big gear head on this one if your t-stat was stuck shut you would never know what was going on until it was too late. I mounted mine on the passenger side cylinder head. It's close to the firewall and out of the way.

------------------
Jason Renschler
Gilbert, AZ
1968 Camaro - 350 4-speed
1969 Camaro - 350 4-speed

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 02, 09:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Bad - are you talking about just a gauge mounted on the pump that you can read directly?
We do this so we can see the engine temp. during the warm-up prior to starting or to monitor from the front after starting the engine. We use an external source of heated water to warm the engine.
I buy them from Graingers or McMaster Carr or local industrial sources.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 02, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Vintage 68..Thats exactly what I am looking for...I would like to get an Idea of the temp while I am setting up the car without having to lean into it..Would you know if I am going to need an adapter or the thread size and pitch so it will screw directly into the water pump or a part # when I go to graingers..Thanks

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 02, 02:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I use the 2" and 3" Bi-metal Dial Thermometers. The 2" unit comes with 1/4"NPT Threads and has a short 2.5" probe stem. The 3" unit has 1/2"NPT threads and is also available with a 2.5" probe stem.
If you install the 2" unit in the By-pass opening in the top of the water pump you will need to use a 1/2" to 1/4"NPT reducer.
If you use the 3" dial you should be able to thread it directly into most water pumps.
Most SBC and BBC water pumps have the by-pass outlets on them. The SBC Long pumps have the outlet at an angle towards the intake, you can use an Adjustable Angle themometer for these.
There is a 20~30 deg. Neg. Delta for the radiator outlet temp. v.s. the engine operating temp in most applications, so don't be suprized if your temp. reads 'low' compaired to your in car gauge due to the location in the inlet side of the engine.
We do not use thermostats in many of the race applications so this is not a problem to us.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 02, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Vintage 68...20-30 Degree difference at the pump...I know everyone seems to agree about taking the temp at the pump will be lower...But I have my sender mounted on the intake.right next to the Thermostat..Are you sure about the 20-30 degree diffence..If so I might be in trouble..My temp gauge in traffic sometimes hits 220* if what your saying is correct the true temp would be 240*-250*....But I never had a boil over..I realy hate to think I may have been running the car at 250*...Thank you

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Badcamin, please reread Vintage68's last post, I think you read it incorrectly.

You stated your temp sender is in the intake crossover, right where it should be, next to the thermostat. Your gauge is reading 220 degF. If you where to add/change it to the water pump, then it would read return water temp from the radiator, 20-30 degF less.

I don't think your engine is running 240 degF.

There was a post on this engine temp in another section last week and alot of discussion and damn good advice was given. You might want to investigate.

As long as the engine isn't boiling over, getting hot, and you have a 20-lb cap on, you'll be fine.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Bad - Everett has it correct, the Delta 'T' (lingo for temperature differences) will be @20~30 deg. LOWER than the intake manifold readings you now get. I have seen lower than 20deg. temp. differences a couple of times, but this would indicate to me that the radiator is now working as efficient as it should or the coolant flow is to great to allow heat transfer thru the radiator.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Guys..I realy appreciate you guys taking the time to answer these questions and help me out ..Thanks again

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode