question for ragtop owners concerning 355(turbo'd)/383 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Don't know where to put this question cause it has some engine/performance/tech/body in it. Please move it to appropriate place if necessary

I have a question for all ragtop owners with a non-stock engine in it. (or a stock-car engine in it )

I'd like to know if a ragtop-body has any trouble with the torque of a (turbo'd) 355 or a mild 383.
I ask this because in the town I live there is a Qvale mangusta
with a displacement of 280 ci (F*rd cobra)
, 320bhp @ 6000 rpm, 314 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm and because it is a convertible the body couldn't handle the torque so the chassis twisted and the plastic body was cracked in some places. Does this also happen to 1st gen with steel body and subframe connectors??

I know Dennis (DjD) has a convertible with a 383 in it and i see absolutely no cracks in the body, but I also read on this forum that a ragtop with an original 327 caused twisting of the chassis and misalignment of the doors.

HELP!

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/dl

[This message has been edited by DL (edited 05-14-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Hey David;
I think this points out why most all out performance oriented vehicles these days are of the coupe and not roadster variety for the added ridgidty of the structure, unless they are fully framed or a purpose built monocoque structure for high HP/Torque powerplants.
I had a couple '67 rags with 396 engines (one stock 325Hp and the other non-original BB car with a 396 built up to unknown output. The last one was a real P.O.S.! It bent and flexed in all the wrong places and friends swear they could see the pavement thru the lower door seam when I was on it in a corner. I swaped it back to a SBC and sold it before it twisted in half, but it is still on the street in So.Cal. in SBC form so maybe I didn't hurt it to bad.
Now I use F-body coupes only for performance bases.
My street cruiser is a '68 rag with a mild SBC.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech

David,

I think that this can be problem with the ragtops but I also think that the installation of a good set of weld-in subframe connectors can help correct this. I have the SFC's in and I am building a torquey stroker small block so I can let you know in a couple of months whether or not the SFC's prevent severe body twist. I have a buddy with a very torquey big block in a coupe that got some cracks in his body before he put in SFC's so it can occur even in the coupes. After the installation of his SFC's the severe body twist went away.

good luck

bob spears

------------------
69mscle

[This message has been edited by bspears (edited 05-14-2002).]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 02, 05:14 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
In modern vehicles I think the real issue with the manufactures is rattles. Convertibles do not have the roof structure support of a coupe. The flexing and twisting from high torque tend to loosen things up and when a modern car has a long warrantee it becomes a dealer problem. Body panel stress and cracking is evident in any car that gets drag raced and launched hard. I would imagine this is magnified with a ragtop. My ragtop doesn't get beat up but has been pushed at times. I haven't seen any signs of body cracks yet. I think stick cars tend to see more hard shifts and hole shots and may develop stress signs quicker or more often than automatics.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 02, 06:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Amen to everybody. You gotta remember, we're dealing with 30 year old vehicles too.

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 02, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

My intention is 90% - 95% of the time (4 months a year) just cruising. When I'm cruising and a car wants to do a little "exersize" I don't want to see his tail-lights ofcourse
So I think a convertible with a mild 383 with SFC's should do the job then.....right??

------------------
David
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 02, 08:11 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Shouldn't be a problem! Remember though that Drag strips (at least here) require a ragtop quicker than 13.99 to install a roll bar. The reasoning is when you're going fast and poop happens you have no protection. Keep that in mind when your on the street and you'll be ok!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 02, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

You'll probably know that I never took a ride in a V8 powered car ever before, but do you say that for example your car ('69 rag 383) does the 1/4 mile in high 13 - low 13???

Because the closest dragstrip near me is on the other side of the country, I do all the calculating in 0-60 in stead of in 1/4 mile. I know that a "small sportscar" like Honda CRX, VW GTi, etc. here runs about 16 sec in the 1/4 mile (wind in the back, downhill, beer insight LOL ) but I don't know what a 1st gen Camaro would do.

------------------
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode