1997 Camaro Convertible Top boot? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

We recently purchased a 1997 Camaro convertible. During the buying process we noticed that there was not a boot for the top. The owner said he never had one and didn't think they made one. After looking in the owners manual I am quite certain there is a boot of some kind. Could any readers provide some insight? I think form the owners manual it comes in a pouch and is three pieces of plastic, but just not sure. If anyone knows or has a part number that would be very helpful. Thanks, Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 11:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
It's 2 or 3 pieces of hard plastic and should have a storage bag. Stop by your local Chevrolet parts counter and they can set you up with the part number and the part for that matter...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Dennis, Thanks for the quick reply. At least now I know there is such an animal. Unfortunately the dealership I talked with is about as confused about the boot as I was initially. They just don't know what is the correct piece(s). The illustration they have isn't all that good and its hard to be sure. One parts guy described the part as "folding top cover, rear support kit," but when the part number was looked up the illustration just doesn't look right. Thanks again, Ted.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 02, 03:43 PM

I saw a 2001 SS convertible that had either a two piece or a three piece hard plastic boot. I'm guessing that it would be something like that. The guy didn't like it because he said it looked cheap. He wanted to get it covered with leather. It was made of a hard, and flimsy looking piece of plastic. I hope this helps.

------------------
1968 Camaro Rally Sport Convertible
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 02, 04:00 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Ted, they are being lazy over the phone!! go in to the parts counter and look at the diagrams with them. You'll know it when you see it!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 05:44 AM
Senior Tech
James

They definately do exist - I have a 1997 Trans Am WS6 Convertible and I have the three piece boot cover. Comes in a soft line carry bag. Overall not a bad piece. Should not be hard to find one.

Admin Edit: Sorry no selling allowed in the forums...

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 05-17-2002).]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I finally got the parts numbers (although they had been updated) directly from another convertible in a dealer lot. I then went inside and had them run the numbers. If anyone is interested 3 piece plastic boot, one naugahyde storage bag. Part #s 10294890 12170 left, 10294891 12170 right, 10294887 12170 center, 10193284 13450 bag, Prices are out of this world. list is 853.33 for the set!!! I paid less than that for my first running, no# matching 66 big block Impala SS convertible. Times change. Guess I'll be looking for a boot. Thanks for the help. Behncke
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech

I punched the part numbers into www.gmpartsdirect.com, and here's what I got:

10193284 - BAG F/TOP $169.38

10294887 - CVR-F/TOP $233.04

10294890 - EXT-F/TOP $37.26

10294891 - EXT-F/TOP $37.26

$476.94 total....$307.56 without the storage bag. Much better, but still pricey. Now we know why the convertibles cost so much more than the sport coupes!!
------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]
The Club - GM Muscle Cars of the Carolinas

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 05-22-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode