Valves on mechinical cam - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 02, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Hello again, i need to adjust the valves on my motor. Any tips would be great as this is really my first time. I've been told to do it when the motors hot. It sounds like two of the valves are out of whack. Now, i'm not sure of the procedure concerning a mechnincal cam and would appreciate any advice.
best, paul
69 RS 327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 02:01 AM
Senior Tech

This can be a tricky job. Are you certain that you have a solid lifter cam? If so, you also need the spec sheet on it. The valve lash can vary from cam to cam and without the specs, you can wipe out the lobes if adjusted incorrectly.
If you have the specs, you do adjust them while the engine is hot. Remove one valve cover at a time. You'll want to get a remote starter switch and hook it up with the car in neutral. Bump the engine a little at a time while viewing the pushrods. To make it simple, do one cylinder at a time. Once you see both pushrods (intake & exhaust) are in the closed position, you use a feeler gage to set the gap between the rocker arm and valve stem while loosening/tightening the rocker arm nut. Go back and double check each cylinder twice.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 03:46 AM
Senior Tech

Dave,
Do you always adjust them when the engine is hot? I was told to adjust mine when it was cold. Is this wrong or does it depend on the set up you have? I am curious because I do not want to screw anything up by adjusting the valve incorrectly.

Matt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech

I've heard of people adjusting when the engine is cold, but I was told to never do it.

Another good tip I just learned was, Kragens or your local auto-parts shop should have these ear plug type devices that you can use to plug the oil holes, otherwise it will get messy.

Are there any other good tips? I will need to do this for the first time also on a soild comp cam. I already have my specs... but I never adjusted a soild cam...

Ohayden

------------------
http://www.350ss.com
1967 Camaro (560+ HP Toy)
1968 Camaro (Week End Car)
1973 Camaro (Daily Driver)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 05:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I've seen this method documented before (it's even the way my new CompCams solid lifter doc says to do it). But I like the method specified in my 68 GM Service Manual. They have you get #1 cylinder up on the firing stroke at TDC then you adjust 4 different valves. Then you rotate the engine 180* (1/2 turn of damper) and adjust 4 more. You do that 180* turn 2 more times doing 4 each time. You just need to make sure you're doing the specific 4 for that rotation but that's easy enough. It seems to me like this gets you a more accurate TDC for those 4 valves you do at a time.
Anybody else do it this way?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 05:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I do it the way Crane Cams says on their web page, one cylinder at a time. It was recently descibed in one of the car mags. Very reliable. Also, it ensures you are on the base circle of the cam. Their site also gives some clearance adjustments to factor in if the motor is cold but this is only for initial settings when a motor is new, etc. Get the hot settings from the mfg and do it that way .

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Winch:
I've seen this method documented before (it's even the way my new CompCams solid lifter doc says to do it). But I like the method specified in my 68 GM Service Manual. They have you get #1 cylinder up on the firing stroke at TDC then you adjust 4 different valves. Then you rotate the engine 180* (1/2 turn of damper) and adjust 4 more. You do that 180* turn 2 more times doing 4 each time. You just need to make sure you're doing the specific 4 for that rotation but that's easy enough. It seems to me like this gets you a more accurate TDC for those 4 valves you do at a time.
Anybody else do it this way?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the way I do it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 12:27 PM

1. Set engine on #1 firing position
adjust intake #2 & #7 adjust exhaust #4 & #8

2. Rotate crankshaft 180 degrees clockwise
adjust intake #1 & #8 adjust exhaust #3 & #6

3. Rotate crankshaft 180 degrees clockwise
adjust intake #3 & #4 adjust exhaust #5 & #7

4. Rotate crankshaft 180 degrees clockwise
adjust intake #5 & #6 adjust exhaust #1 & #2

Hope this gives you as good a result as it has for me.
Arley
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 02, 04:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Thanks Arley, I didn't have my book at work when I replied and I haven't done them enough yet to remember. I gotta belive that is much more accurate, but I'm sure both ways gets you close.
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode