RH outside mirror mounting - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Bought new LH & RH mirrors for my restored 69 SS350 camaro. Replaced the existing LH mirror with new one. Before remounting I measured hole positioning. Drilled identical hole positions on the Right door skin. Mounted the new RH mirror and found it to be totally useless. It doesn't swival enough to bring in a true rear viewing position. All I can see is basically whats beside me on the right. I wish I would have never got the idea of a right mirror. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Thanks very much! Ray in Illinois........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 04:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Ray, They're all like that. I just called a couple of suppliers recently asking if they had any right hand mirrors that could be used. They all said no.

If anyone knows of a factory looking mirror that works on the passenger side, please post.

Jody
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

I definitely think your right Jody. I called the supplier of these mirrors and there answer was: Oh we've never heard of this problem before. Yea right! I guess with late model vehicle we've all gotten use to standard equipment RH mirrors and they have much more swivel position. I guess GM never perfected the mirrors back in 69'. Thanks for the feedback. Ray......

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech

Could be just the reproduction mirros. My 69 has the original one and it adjusts fine. Bought a repro for my wife's 69 and it's useless.

Jamie
69 SS current restro
69 SS waiting for restro
Both clones
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 02, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

The wonders of the search option. https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum16/HTML/000100.html

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 05-18-2002).]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 02, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

I've put small spot mirrors on mine,to add a wider view.I also have them on my truck too. It's just a safety thing for me.

------------------
http://www.fototime.com/inv/E695F2E9BD55636 http://www.smokemup.com/gallery/pict...camaro-sm2.jpg
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I had the same problem with my 68's right hand mirror until I figured out that I had the right and left switched. Are you 100% sure you have a RH mirror? They WILL fit on the wrong side and they even look right.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Just installed a repro RH on my 69SS350, same result, THIS IS JUST NUTS!! Do't you think they would test this stuff before they put it on the market?...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies!
I will be doing the same modification to my right mirror also.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 04:31 AM

My small mirror fix that worked.

My mirror had a rub spot where I tried to turn the mirror in and it would not go any further. I used that rub mark as my grinding point and just removed a little bit at a time. You only need to remove or grind down a small amount of the mirror ball shaft to get the mirror to come in enough. After you have ground the mirror shaft down the little bit that it takes, you should not be able to even see the modification once the mirror is turned in.

You should remove the mirror from the car before grinding it down. I used a drimmel with a nibbler bit to take down the shaft. It grinds down fast so take a little bit at a time.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Jrager, Great Idea, I'm going to dig out my Drimmel and do the same thing, All my other cars have a right side mirror and the Camaros not working is driving me crazy! (which is a short drive) thanks adain...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Also, you don't need to adjust the mirror so you're looking down the side of the car. In fact, having it show the shoulder is about right for covering the typical blind spots. Having said that, mine still needed a 'tweak'. Good suggestion.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech

I don't have a dremmel tool so I filed mine down with a small triangular mill file. Didn't have to remove it from the car and it took me about 2 minutes. What a super idea, works great.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 01:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I just used a file on mine also. Figured I'd try it before breaking out the dremel. VERY easy to file (soft) and in less than 4 minutes, including R&Ring it, you're done.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode