rear quarter antenna mount location - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

i am considering putting my antenna in the optional rear location. I have all new sheet metal all around so i don't have any holes to begin with. so i have the dimension of the hole but the assembly manual doesn't give me a clear dimension for the hole from the rear of the car it gives me 28.94 P.V. not sure what the P.V. means if anybody knows the correct location it would be greatly appreciated. thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Just in case you (or others contemplating the rear antenna) don't already know, it will not fit with the factory rear spoiler. They collide with the lid open.

-Mark.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

the antenna hit the spoiler if the car was factory equiped with it , that was why the made a stencil that put the antenna farther up on the 1/4 , not correct for a restoration but would work with the rear spoiler , I have had people that used the later stencil say that mine was in the wrong place , I would decide whether or not a spoiler would be used before I did any drilling ,

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I have the antenna on the rear with the spoiler and it just touches. What I did was to tilt the antenna out just enough to clear the spoiler. The anternna really does look better on the rear.
P.S. Even thou it was only for the AM radio, I use it with the AM/FM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 09:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

The one on my convertible is just about even with the trunk opening seam and slightly in board of centered between the trunk lip and the fender edge - that said I have no idea if it's in the "correct" location. I don't have a spoiler.
Back in the day it was very common for the radio to be dealer installed. I don't remember that I installed any Camaro antennas (at least not 67-69) when I was working at a Dealership but, I installed way to many to count on Full size's, Chevelle's, Trucks and Vega's/Monza's and the Toyota's we sold - and I never used the templates or dimensions in the instructions. We just found the easiest place to drill and run the lead on the cars and went with that location from then on. I would imagine that some of this went on before my day on the Camaro's also.

[This message has been edited by Vintage 68 (edited 05-20-2002).]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 03:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

The emblem location template, I ordered some time ago, came with a template for the rear mounted antena position.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 04:12 PM
Tech Team

Just sent you a scan of my original template. Let me know if you have any questions.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 02:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

So what does the P.V. mean?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

I have my antenna on the rear qtr and the spoiler does not hit. I have a power antenna though. Just threw that in for laughs.

Dean
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech

I went through the same type of thing went I got my car painted. I ended up just installing a powered antenna inside the car, right by the top of the windshield. It gets great reception, and is unnoticable really. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is about to cut a hole in their fender. The product is called a hide-a-way antenna, and is made my Custom Autosound. The site is http://www.customautosound.com

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Nice idea Dan, but not if you have a convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode