MODs...little at a time - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Greetings all...

I'm just about a week away from FINALLY digging into my '87 305/4bbl/auto. (I've had the car for a little more than a year, but needed to sink a lot into it just to get it to pass inspection -- wiring, brakes, shocks, struts, etc.)

I figured the intake would be a good a place as any to start. (Whether it is or not is immaterial at this point as I've already purchased an Edelbrock [#1400] and am ordering the manifold in a day or two.)

Anyway...

Apart from the carb and manifold, can I garner some recommendations as to where to go next? I would love to go with a new cam, but can't afford all the additional parts (lifters, valves, et al.) for a rebuild at the moment. How about some new headers? Maybe a new CAT?

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Andy

BTW, by the time I'm done with everything -- it'll take years, I'd venture -- I doubt there'll be a stock item left on the thing (except maybe the block itself...we'll see), so don't be afraid to use you imagination!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech

Actually, a cam swap isn't that expensive...especially with a mild street cam. In most cases it costs less than replacing a carb...if you dont get one so big that you need bigger springs or other additional changes. IMO, a cam swap is the biggest bang for the buck, after the exhaust system of course. It is also about the biggest PITA on a later model like yours. Who told you that you need new valves with a cam swap??? You don't, so don't worry about that. I do know that the 3rd gens like yours are very responsive to changes in the exhaust system. A set of smog legal headers with matching y-pipe, hi-flow cat, and aftermarket cat back exhaust system will really help. There is also big gains to be had by changing the rear gears...something along the lines of a 3.73 will give you a big kick in the pants if you have a 2.73 or 3.08 in there now. Of course, there is always smaller items like a K&N filter, underdrive pulleys, hi-po chip, cooler thermostat, etc.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Travis.

Actually, my bro-in-law said that if I'm going to replace the cam then I should wait until I can do a total rebuild. [He's a great guy; buy ask him a question and he can be a bit long-winded -- not to mention expensive. ]

I'm looking into headers now. Afterwards, I plan on going to the CAT/CAT back.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards,

ANdy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode