How would you build my Rearend for my 69 Supercharged BB Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I need to have a rearend built for my 69 Big Block camaro. It's supercharged and has about 750+ HP. It has a 10 bolt with drum brakes now, no posi, it is stock. It is all torqued up and trashed, now my car sits and waits for a new rearend. Need some advice!

12 bolt or 9 bolt?

What type of axles?

Which type of posi unit?

Gears I'm set on either 3:55s or 3:73s.

How much do you think your build will cost?

Thanks for the info.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I would get one of the new Moser 12-bolt rear ends. I'm sure they can build you something that will outlast the rest of your car. They advertize in all of the mags and I'm sure they have a web site. I would give them a call and see what they recommend. They sell complete rear ends with whatever you want and can even add Ford ends to the axle tubes you don't have to use c-clip eliminators.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

Ford 9"; detroit locker; then you can run 3.50's on the street, 4.10 or steeper for the track. Use a back braced housing, Also the axels don't use c-clips, a lot safer, and you can easily go to big axels, 31, 33, 35, 40 spline, etc.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech

either a 12 bolt or 9 inch ford make the most
sense probably.
for a street driver,a locker and 31 spline
axles.for a strip car,a spool and 35 spline
axles.use a billet yoke for the 1350 u-joint.probably around $2000. in either case.
Moser Engineering can set you up with either
setup including nodular or aluminum center sections.

------------------
'86 Firebird,ladder bar
suspension,9 inch ford w/4.56,10 point,440 bbc,
400 manual valve/brake.

'86 3/4 ton 4 wd 454/400 turbo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I have a complete 9" Ford with the nodular case, Daytona pinion housing, Traction Lock, 3.50 gears, Moser 31 spline axles and 3" studs that was in a '69 Camaro. It is 58 inches wide, 2 less than a stock Camaro rear end. It has been sand blasted, but not painted. I would like to sell it for $900 as is. E-mail me if you are interested.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Like everyone said, you should look at a ford 9" or a Chevy 12-bolt. The 9-inch is cheaper to build strong enough to hold up to the power you have. But if you can't handle the thought of Ford putting your Chevy horses to the pavement, then its time for 12 bolt. I agree Moser is nice stuff, Also nice, but even more expensive, is Mark Willams. Both showed up with giant displays at this weekends NHRA event at Englishtown. Iím going with Mark Williamsís stuff Öbecause my drag racing friends say itís the best. I donít have the Hp you do, but Iíll be using a stock Chevy 12-bolt, and the following Mark Williams stuff: 33-spline axles, housing ends, and bearing caps according to the Mark Williams rep, this should easily be good for 10ísÖwhich is faster than Iíll ever go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode