Another question on hood clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I've read most of the posts on hood clearance but I'm still not sure. I am putting a 350 in a 68 using the tall 307/327 frame & motor mounts. It has a Performer RPM and and a Performer 750 carb with electric choke. I have an AC Delco 14" x 3" open element cleaner that I now see won't fit as-is. I'll need a 3/4" spacer or I could get an Edleborck 1221 cleaner that is recommended for that carb. I keep reading about drop-base air cleaners. What is that and does anyone know if what I have is one? Does anyone know for sure if this combo is going to fit under a stock 68 hood?

[This message has been edited by Winch (edited 05-21-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech
John

Drop base has a concave shape to fit down over the carb, as opposed to a flat piece of metal with a hole cut in it for the carb. Most of the AC's that I have seen are drop base design. I'm not familiar with the Edelbrock carb, so I don't know if an AC is made to fit it. If you can tell where it is hitting, and that the interference isn't to great, you can probably "massage" the base with a ball peen hammer. If it looks like it just isn't going to fit, it may be better to get the air cleaner that is made foe the carb.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 04:10 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

My base model '69 originally came with a 307, so I have the "tall" frame mounts. I used to have a Holley 300-36 dual plane intake, which is equivalent to the Edelbrock Performer RPM, on the motor. I also used a Holley carb and a Moroso dropped base air cleaner with a 3 inch K&N filter. This all fit under the standard hood with a small rub on the front of the air cleaner lid.

The Moroso air cleaners are specifically designed for the shape of a Holley carb. I do not know if they make a dropped base air cleaner for an Edelbrock carb (Carter basic design and shape). I would check around and see. I'm surprised Edelbrock hasn't stepped up to the plate with such a product.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I suspect the Edelbrock 1221 they list in their carb manual fits correctly. With that combo I'm guessing I'd be alright. I would like to use the AC Delco I picked up at a swap meet but when I put a 3/4 spacer on it may not clear. The AC is a drop base but it hits the top of the choke housing.
I guess the right thing to do will be to use modeling clay once I've got the drive train in and the hood back on and see what the clearance will actually be.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech

Winch,

I don't know what kind of motor mounts are in my car, but I do have an Edelbrock Performer intake with Edelbrock Performer carb and the 14" AC Delco air cleaner. This air cleaner (and yours) is a drop base design. However, the drop base design is designed for a Holley carb, and a spacer is required for the Edelbrock/Carter carb. I have a 3/4" spacer on mine. I can tell you that this will not fit under a base flat hood. I have a stock height cowl induction hood, and the wingnut pokes through the hole in the hood...I can see it and the top of the air cleaner housing from the driver's seat. I also have a regular Performer intake, not the Performer RPM which is a little taller. No way this combot will fit under the stock hood. Prior to the AC Delco/GMPP air cleaner, I had a K&N chrome air cleaner housing with the identical setup. The lid is a little flatter, and it did fit under a flat hood...I actually had the original flat hood on the car at that time....so the K&N air cleaner might be an option for you.

The pics of my car in the signature are old, so if you look at the engine pic, the K&N filter is on the engine...you can see how the lid is pretty flat.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]
The Club - GM Muscle Cars of the Carolinas

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 05-21-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode