Voltage regulator reading, is this right ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi
I just replaced my Blue Steak Voltage Regulator with a new one. The old one kept blowing the external fuse. The new one seems to be ok
The local mechanic put a meter on to get a reading of the output and it read 13.25 with no load and 13.15 with a full load. Is this ok, or should it be higher
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
The most correct way to measure/adjust the regulator is to wire in the circuit, the red wire to the positive battery post, a 1/4 ohm 25 watt fixed resistor. Then operate the engine for 15 minutes @1500 rpm min. This will set the regulator temperature for 75 degF. Measure voltage across battery negative terminal and the connection before the added resistor. Voltage should be 13.5 -14.8 volts.

Now, a much easier way is to measure across the battery terminals, turn on all accessories, lights, heater, wipers @ 1000 rpm. Voltage should be no less then 13.5 volts (full load) and no higher than 14.8 volts no load.

Hope this helps....

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, two questions
1. What would cause it to read this low, I have a new Alternator and battery

2. What can happen with it running at the current output rate

Thanks again

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Let's see...

1. A couple answers, loose or worn belt, or the regulator is set too low.
2. Battery would never be fully charged.

One thing you might do, check to make sure there is ground straps between the engine and body, and body to neg terminal. Just provide a good ground for the alternator.

There is a buss bar on the horn relay, right next to the regulator. Remove neg cable from the battery, remove the two red wires from the buss bar and clean, wire brush, sandpaper, the two terminals and the buss bar itself. The same goes for the terminal block on the radiator support in front of the battery. There will be two red wires there also. You're looking for less than 0.4 volt difference from the alt BAT terminal to the positive battery post. Same goes for the ground side.

Make sure the battery cables themselves are in good shape. Try not to use anything less than 2 AWG cable. I know parts stores carry 4 & 6 AWG, 4 is better than 6 if you must.

If your mechanic is knowledgable enough, he can increase the voltage setting on the regulator, providing it has screws on the cover for removal.

Everett
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, I cleaned all the grounds, seem a couple had dry battery acid on it. The best reading I can get now is

13.94 No Load
13.65 full load

Is this ok, or should I continue trouble shooting
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Try it there for a couple weeks and see what happpens. If it shows slow starting, really dim headlights, then I might change the setting of the regulator.

If you have nothing to do, one could go through the wire harness and clean all the contacts. But, you've done good to get 13.9/13.6 volts.

Everett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode