A couple more questions about my voltage regulator reading - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

As mentioned in my previous post, my regulator went bad and I installed a new one.
After a local mechanic did a reading and me cleaning wires, I got the reading up to 13.94 no load and 13.65 with a load.
Unfortuanately, my alt meter is disconnected, so today I installed an AutoMeter brand Voltage guage.
Here is what I notice,
When I turn the key on, it goes to 12, when I start it it goes to 14, when I turn on the lights, radio, etc it drops to a little under 14.
Here is my concern
When I race the engine, it the dash lights flicker and the needle jumps to 15 and sometimes 16 for a few seconds and then drops back to 14. If I hold the accelerator to around 2200 rpms, the needle jumps back and forth between the 16 and 14. But when idling at 1000 rpms, it stays a constant 14
Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

The old style regulators had a set of points in them to switch between low rpm and high rpm. The flickering you're seeing is the regulator switching between the two. J.C.Whitney sells a solid state regulator that replaces the old points style without changing the wiring for $9.99 plus shipping. My advice, get one.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech

Maybe it's the regulator.
Great suggestion on the JCW unit, but you can get them from the chain auto stores and save the shipping and waiting hassles.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that the regulator that was on there was a solid state one that was very expensive. I replaced it with the identical one. ITs a Blue Streak made by Standard Motor, it cost $50.00
I opted for this one because it has a fuse mounted to the case which will blow saving the regulator or alt during a malfunction
So, I dont think the posting about it changing during high and low rpms applies or does it based on the above.
Thanks again
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 01:38 PM
Team Member
John

The regulator (stock or solid-state) is still just a switching device; the stock one is mechanical (relays and points), and the solid-state one is electronic - both types switch constantly.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 02, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnZ:
The regulator (stock or solid-state) is still just a switching device; the stock one is mechanical (relays and points), and the solid-state one is electronic - both types switch constantly.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference being that a mechanical regulator switches at low frequency (such as a few hundred hertz) while the solid state regulator switches at high frequency (thousands of herts). The result is fewer voltage fluctuations under varying loads. Of course if the alternater isn't spinning fast enough to cope with the load, the regulator won't be able to do much about it.

-dnult

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode