Removing gas pedal assembly - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 27th, 02, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My gas pedal is very stiff,I need to take it apart to find out why. How do I remove the pedal assemble from the plastic support that attatches to the firewall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 27th, 02, 08:45 AM
Retired
Jim

I just replaced my plastic piece there last week. It was horrible. Ended up grabbing and locking on the right sized socket with small vice grips and reaching down there with it. then you only get about 1/4 turn each time before you have to pull off and reset the socket. If there was a trick I didnt have it. Replaced it and it works great.

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 27th, 02, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech

If you want to remove the metal rod from the plastic piece that goes through the firewall you have to remove the bolt that holds the stamped metal piece that the throttle rod connects to (this is next to the firewall in the engine compartment). The bolt must be totally removed because there is a shoulder on the tmetal rod that the bolt sets in to keep the stamped metal piece from coming off. This doesn't make much sense the way I have it typed. I think I finally unbolted the plastic piece from the firewall and pulled it all off and took the metal rod off when it was out of the car. I replaced all of it with a Lokar gas pedal and cable assembly. I did bolt the plastic piece back on and filled the hole where the metal rod goes with RTV just to close up the hole in the firewall.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 27th, 02, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Have you disconnected the throttle linkage from the top of arm to eliminate the carb linkage as the problem? If not, try that first. Sometines the throttle linkafge and spring can be very stiff, especially if the linkage is attached to the center, or lower hole in the carb.

If it is the pedal linkage, it is very tight to access as described. It's a pain, but can be done. If it is the linkage, you might try spraying some white grease on it before dismantling it. There isn't much to it that can make it stiff.

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in