Roll out front sub-frame?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 02, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello and help please,

What started out to be a simple (?) swap from P/G to a Muncie-20 on my 69 SS clone has ballooned into a major, at least for me, project. I was just going to pull just the motor and trans and make the swap. Instead I started looking at all the other things that needed done (like repair rust damage & replace sub-frame mounts, replace heater fan, rad supports etc.-etc.). Now Iíve got everything off the front of the car and was wondering what is the easiest and cleanest way to roll out the front subframe. Iíve got to take it on a small flat bed trailer to work and weld on patch plates at the sub frame holes. In particular where and how should I separate the steering column and the brake lines/master cylinder to allow the sub frame to roll out. (I emphasize the lack of mess. When pulling the motor/trans, I was doing real well until it came time to remove the trans. I figured I had drained the all the fluid from the P/G so I just pulled the trans off the back of the engine and left the converter attached. Well needless to say I had a river of ATF running all over the garages floor.) Did I say that Iíve never done this kind of thing before?? Pretty obvious isnít it!!

Iíll continue to stumble on with this never-ending adventure. Any suggestions that you care to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 02, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
It sounds like you are so far along that you might as well strip the subrame all the way down and restore everything from the firewall forward. Undo the steering column at the rag joint. Undo the hard brake lines at the junction block under the master cylinder.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 02, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech

don't forget the parking brake- it should be removed from the pedal inside tha car and pulled down thru the floor and unhooked under the car. it goes thru the inside of the subframe, so just leave it in there.
also, look out for any ground wires that go from frame to body, and the fuel line needs to come off the frame.
unhook those few things, and it should (perhaps?) drop right out.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 02, 06:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I would leave the parking brake cable hooked to the pedal and disconnect it at the other end. There is a clip that holds it in the subframe that is alot easier to get off than trying to get it compressed enough to get out of the firewall.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 28th, 02, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode