1969 Camaro, what Performance parts are Available? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Ken

I've got a 1969 Camaro on the slooow road to restoration. What types of upgrades are available? Right now, it has a 327 4 bolt main, with a 3 speed tranny on the floor. It need new exhaust, so I could get headers (what ones are good, cheap). Will probably get dual exhaust. what other performance upgrades are available, and who makes the parts?

Thanks

------------------
'69 Camaro convertible, stock, 3speed, dead
'01 vw jetta we 1.8t
'01 suzuki SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 01:15 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Welcome to the 8cyl world. You can do as much or as little as you want to both a small block chev and a big block! The limits are your experience and your pocket!! I don't think your 327 has 4 bolt mains though. The best I can suggest is read through the forums here, get a copy or 3 of Super Chevy and then get familiar with how these internal combustion mills are put together. Do the same for the suspensions and take it slow. Even if you plan on paying a shop to do the wrenching learn as much as you can before hand...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
John

I second Dennis' suggestions... also I like Chevy High Performance Magazine. Also, call Summit Racing Equipment at 800-230-3030 and get their free catalog.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Ken

My father and I will be wrenching. I want to get some stuff for it so he thinks I'm still interested..... My father has taken apart and put the car back together twice, this is the third time.... He says it has a GM replacement 4 bolt main, and my mother says it's a 327, so I just combined the information. Do the magazines actually have relevant info in them? I don't plan on spending alot. it's got brand new door skins, brakes, brake lines, gas tank... it needs the holes welded.

Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

You can upgrade just about every single part on a 1st gen Camaro from the suspension to chassis to engine and drivetrain. Probably the most worthwhile big upgrades are stiffening the chassis with subframe connectors and modern poly bushings, maybe an overdrive transmission, and of course speed parts for the engine. Dennis right - it depends on how deep your pockets are.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 03:44 PM
Jeff

"I want to get some stuff for it so he thinks I'm still interested....."

Hate to say it but dont do it to make your dad THINK YOUR STILL INTERESTED but do it because YOU ARE and it will progress alot smoother that way. Hard to get down on something you really like to do. Other than that get some of the Mags mentioned above and check out the online parts sites and enjoy.

------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech

From your post i get the idea you haven't driven the camaro before it got imobile. Well believe me you will forget about the Jetta imediately! It seems your father is quite a knowledgable guy so get these holes fixed quick and drive this thing! When it is mobile again you might be suprised with it's performance, do you have any more info on the car and engine? If possible try to get some pictures and post them, you'll be suprised how many people on this board will have answers...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 12:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I'd suggest getting the numbers off the engine and cowl tag and posting them in the tag team section to find out for sure exactly what you are starting with.
I hope YOU really are interested in it (or become that way). I have an 11 year old I can't get excited about my 68 RS ragtop I'm restoring with him in mind. I hope it's just a matter of time. I think the first time I take him for a ride and let those 400+ horses loose he'll wake up!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Ken

I was 8 when we replaced it (my mothers daily driver) with an '88 mustang 2.3l I always liked the car, but it isn't one of my loves. But hear me out, I'd like it to be. I have my 650cc motorcycle, and my turbocharged Jetta. My intended Resto date is next April, to have it ready for my wedding. My dad has worked a staggered shift for 20 years, so our relationship is quite lacking. He wants to get the Camaro out of the garage so he can put his 'baby' back together.... a 1960 Sedan Delevery

Thanks, I bought those mags last night and am reading them now
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 07:58 AM
Jeff

Sounds like you will be having a good time then. Working on it will bring both of you closer with something more in common. You might also want to go and join a local Camaro club where the other members will be glad to help out with what ever they can. One thing on belonging to a Camaro club is the feeling you will get the first time you attend one of the curise nights when your 69 is done. Work on it when you can and enjoy. I will warn you though that this board (Team Camaro) is very addictive but very helpful also.

------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 02, 03:40 AM
Kevin

69onjackstands, There are a LOT of cruises and shows in NJ. There are WEB sites that list them by date. Usually you can find one in the state every day from May to Sept.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 05-31-2002).]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 02, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech

In addition to the above mentioned magazines, there are three to four excellent restoration books available. The Year One catalogue has a lot of information as well as parts, well worth the $7.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode