Griffin rad. mount and Evans Cooling NPG question... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

2 Questions...

Bought a Griffin aluminum radiator from Summit, has anyone mounted one of these and have any ideas for me on a clean way to mount it?

And the second one...

Anyone have any experience or heard any negatives about Evans Cooling NPG? I guess it is an alternative cooling liquid that doesn't build pressure, runs cooler, and is pretty damn good from what I've been told thus far.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated, should be dropping the ZZ502 in her this weekend if all goes well.

Thanks in advance...
Mike

(Gonna have to change my screenname now!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 04:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
A Friend has a Race shop and they use and like the Evans Cooling NPG. For those that don't know what it is...It is a straight coolant that has a boiling point of somewhere over 300 degrees. You run it with no pressure cap. It is said to not get hot spots against the cyl walls. I don't know if your car will run much cooler but it will not boil over. Cost is over 20.00 a gallon I think.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 04:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Actually in the older cars you still have to have 7-8 psi of pressure. I was going to run it being that the stress on the hoses and radiator would be a lot less (no pressure) but when I said it was a 69 Camaro I was told that system requires pressure. So I asked them what the benefit would be and they couldn't really come up with any.

Their claim to fame is no pressure, but many vehicles can't be run that way according to them. It's like the "brushless" car wash by my house; the first thing they do when you pull in is grab some hard nylon brushes on a pole and start scrubbing (scratching) your paint!

Jody

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Cam,
Does that even apply to a brand new GM 502?

The entire cooling system and engine are brand new.

(From the web site)
The boiling point of EVANS (non-aqueous propylene glycol) NPG Coolant is 370 degrees F in a non- or low-pressurized system.

According to this, it is okay, but I'll have a call into them tomorrow.

When I talked to Ron @ Griffin Rads, he said they actually build the radiators for Evans and recommended I call and talk to Dave @ Evans, as I mentioned, I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Anyone with any other comments or suggestions are more than welcome, and thanks you guys for your input already.

Mike

Forgot, wanted to add the site... http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm

[This message has been edited by 68SS454 (edited 05-29-2002).]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 12:46 AM
Senior Tech

I have researched Evans as well as other coolants to no end.

The good news with Evans, is that it is a coolant that does not boil out of your radiator at high temps and creates no pressure...actually there is nothing wrong with pressure...it's a good thing when managed correctly and the boiling protection is something that you should not need either. One other good thing is that it's very stable and you don't have to change it as frequently, if at all. But, that is the limit of it's good points.

The bad is that non-aqueous proplyene glycol is not as good as carrier of heat as other coolants (ethlyene gylcol and water). Therefore you will have to move it alot faster to just keep up with regular coolant heat transfer which requires a higher flowing system. The other issue with the stuff is that it acts as a super surfactant and turns gaskets in to jelly. I have seen this very same thing with water wetter from time to time. The early Evans products required mechanical changes in your cooling systems as well. I believe they are past that with a new generation of product.

The bottom line is that it's expensive, not commonly available should you lose some, and is a poor heat carrier when compared to the common coolants.

If you have a cooling system that is designed correctly you don't need the stuff and moreover if you have a borderline cooling system, it may degradate the systems ability to carry heat and adequately cool the engine.

I do recommend Evans for those situations where for some reason, the system will not keep it's contents due to inherent hotspot formations. This is where it can help, or if you never want to change coolant again.

My recommendation.... use it if you want, but you shouldn't need it?

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 05-30-2002).]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech

Hey, i would drill spot welds off old radiator brackets and have them tig welded inthe same spot to your new radiator, this would be a very clean install and thats what i am going to do when i purchase one this summer i am going with a griffin or summit brand dual 1 inch cooling tube racing radiator that will cool plenty on the street and its only 189.00, good luck
Jake

------------------
1968 Camaro convertible, 454,th400,3500 stall,8.5 10 bolt,3.90 gears
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 04:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Mike,

I was using new aftermarket everything from the Be Cool radiator, to the Victor aluminum pump. I also have an aluminum block like some late model cars. They still said it had to be pressurized, just less than a normal system.

After hearing what Steve said about the cooling capabilities of the stuff, I'd be a little leary on a higher-horse set-up. You don't want to short-cut the cooling on a performance engine.

Jody
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech

I have a Griffin on my 68 (already there when I bought the car) He welded 4 aluminum angle brackets (2 each side) and mounted right to the radiator support. Not sure if he had to dril new holes as I don't have stock to compare with but it is a very clean look.

Robert

------------------
My 67 SS396 Chevelle
My 70 SS396 Chevelle
My 68 RSZ/28

Robert Stacho (a.k.a Mytmouse on Team Chevelle)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 02:13 PM
David Pozzi

Wasn't Dale Evans married to Roy Rogers?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 05-30-2002).]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech

i bought from Summit the griffen radiator
that bolts in no hassle,was worth the trade in time Vs. Money to me!!
works nice too, Now i wish i had painted it semi gloss black b4 i installed it !

------------------
'67 RS/SS 427,4 Speed
Disc brakes,console, fold down rear seat,heater,
Radio Delete, Cowl hood,front,rear spoilers,
Black/black white bumblebee stripe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode