4 speed problems with my 69 z - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 02, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

heres the deal, the 69 I bought in 4000 pieces is now down to about 225 parts. When I installed the motor/trans yesterday, I was installing the shifter/plate assembly and it will not line up with the hole in the floor.It sets back about three inches to far.Upon further inspection, the speedo gear is on the drivers side which means the tail shaft housing is different (believe me, it took a lot of looking at pix and assembly manuals, etc to figure this simple one out)I went to another friends house and looked at his 4 speed with the speedo dump on the passenger side, measured, etc. and the "W" shaped bolt holes measure the same from the rear. Is this piece from a corvette and thus not placing the shifter in the right spot, or have I not got it bolted up inproperly? What a pain in the ford!! HELP!!

By the way, the shifter, the plate, all are from a 69 z-28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 02, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

additional info for above, I measured the length of the trans, it the same.(I'm desperate) There is not a chance that the car was a 3 speed, is there?(I know that all z's were 4 speeds, so don't go there) are the tunnels different for a 4 vs a 3 speed? I'm really reaching here, but I need completion on this fellas.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 02, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

I spoke to the last owner, and he told me that when he removed the motor /trans, he dropped the assembly and broke the tail piece and had a trans man rebuild the trans and the dude replaced the tail piece, but he didn't think any thing of it because he never got that far with the restoration. It is a muncie, right numbers for my 69 z.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 02, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Dude, Been there, done that, t-shirt don't fit anymore.

Get the casting number off the tranny tailhousing and we will see if that is the problem. Also, the shifter itself is unique. It has an adjustment fore and aft but start with the tailhousing number. Since the speedo is on the wrong side we can be pretty sure it is the culprit. You might try a different position on the tailshaft?

Do the shifter levers bolt on to the tranny or do they use a stud with a nut?

-Mark.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 02, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

I converted a three speed to a four speed in 69 camaro and the original shift hole was used successfully. the bigest problem was the shifter itself. had to buy the hurst camaro shifter for 1969 . also the orininal three speed had the speedo cable on the drivers side, while the muncie four speed had the speedo on the passengers side. Went to advanced auto and bought an extension and worked out great. Take a good look at the shifter and make sure it a 69 camaro shifter. if not it probable wont tunnel correctly!
thx
joe c
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 02, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
William

Your trans was incorrectly rebuilt with a pre '66 tailshaft housing. In addition to the speedo cable location the shifter mounting points also differ. The correct housing for a '69 will have 5, not all are used.

Any trans shop that rebuilds Muncies should have the correct housing.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 02, 05:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

[QUOTE]Originally posted by William:
[B].pre '66 tailshaft housing. .. The correct housing for a '69 will have 5, not all are used.

.I replaced my saginaw three w/ a 1966 m20 that had 5 shifter mount holes (i beleive its the "w" series of holes you refer to in your original post.

If there are 5 mount holes on the drivers side tail shaft it should work and tunnel the shifter to the original shifter cut out. I had a shifter that was not camaro specific and had to purchase the hurst 1969 camaro shifter kit.

hope this helps
joe c
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 02, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I converted my 3 on the floor car to an M-21 and had to enlarge the shifter hole about 2 inches toward the rear of the car. I also used a '69 GM Hurst shifter.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 02, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Thanks for all of the advice-any one have a correct tail piece out there? I am in search of as we speak. It quite literally has my other 221 parts on hold as I cannot even mount my console, boot, ring etc until this is resolved. And the having to take the dang trans out again thang!!! I have built this car three times at least doing it wrong the first two times, Can I get a witness? I guess I can say that I have reassembled three 69 z's, all marina blue!!

Thanks again for the help, this site has been the lifesaver for my restoration, as I am a "I like 'em the way the general put 'em together" kinda Dude.

By the way, the shifter is correct the plate is correct(no stud, just bolts) and the tail shaft is incorrect!!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 02, 02:07 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Old Man Engineering has the housing if anybody does. He does high end modified trannys and Long shifters, etc but he also has lots of used parts for reasonable prices. Give him a call. Real nice guy.

He has a web page with a list of parts and prices.

-Mark.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 02, 12:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Marina Blue ? Don't tell us you also painted it the wrong color.... Lemans Blue ?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 02, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Clill, you're killin me man!

Please allow me to beat myself up...
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 02:26 PM
Team Member
John

You need a casting #3857584 extension housing with the passenger side speedo gear to make it work; OEM shifter needs the OEM extension housing.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

John

Do you have one reasonable?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 02:48 PM
Tech Team

Ummgawa, you might try Year One(Stone Mountain) or Rick's First Generation(Athens) or a local salvage yard. Most have interchange guides for cars and casting numbers.

------------------
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode